A career resource for graduates

The end of the semester is already here and the thoughts of some students’ minds are already gearing towards summer. Those thoughts include trips to the beach, hanging out with friends and going to the movies. But most of those leisurely activities taken during the break require something some students can seriously lack –– money.

“I look forward to summer and all, but gas and everything schools takes out of my checkbook during the semester makes me concerned,â€Â said sophomore Tabitha Snavely. “I mean because stuff I like to do during the summer takes money too, I might have to get a job over break.â€Â

Senior Thomas Price is just concerned about what to do now after he graduates this May.

“I’m graduating and I don’t have any sort of job lined up. I am honestly worried and I seriously need money to get me through the summer, because I’m all on my own up here,â€Â Price said.

Career Services here on campus is the place for students to go if they are looking for a job or internship over summer or permanently for after graduation.

Career Experience Counselor Aleta Wolfe sheds some light on some of the opportunities students can take advantage of.

“I encourage all students to stop by our office and to check out and utilize our online resources, because we are here to help and we are open during the summer,â€Â Wolfe said.

Those resources include BulldogJobs.com an online system where students can locate and apply for part-time, full-time and paid internship positions in the greater Fresno area. They can also use it to keep informed about upcoming career development events and activities.

Wolfe also said that students should check out SnagAJob.com another resource that routinely posts job listings and internships.

But she wants to notify students there might be a change in the job listing services that Career Services use. Currently they use BulldogJobs.com and MonsterTrak.com. Soon they will no longer use MonsterTrak and switch to another listing service named Simplicity.

“We want to have a listing service that has everything in one place, and Simplicity allows us to do that,â€Â Wolfe said. “We are constantly trying to think of ways to make looking for jobs and internships easier for students.â€Â

Wolfe also wants students to know that they don̢۪t have to be in Fresno to get help from Career Services and that they don̢۪t have to go to the specific office located on campus.

“All students can go to any Career Services office at any CSU over the summer,â€Â Wolfe said. “All of them are open during the summer, but hours may vary, I think this is convenient for students who go back home or may move when they graduate.â€Â

She said the deadline has past for most paid internships with such major companies as Disney, General Mills or IBM, but she encourages students to still check listing services for any openings. For those students that are returning she advises that if they want paid internships with those companies over summer to start early, because most accept applications beginning early February of each year.

Summer she said is usually when their office gets the most inquiries and visits concerning jobs and internships.

“Students are usually more available during the summer and can work more hours,â€Â Wolfe said. “and most want to because they want replenish what they lose through out the school year or start saving up for the one coming up.â€Â