‘Summer’s come early’

I SHOULD BE FULL OF THINGS TO TALK about. Yesterday was a newsy day.

One of our own professors was suspended for, allegedly, making threats about shooting a class full of his students. I should have something to say about that, but I don̢۪t find myself coming up with much.

Yesterday, President John D. Welty announced that he will be accepting the Campus Fee Advisory Committee̢۪s recommendation of a $52 increase to student fees, with $32 going toward athletics and $20 toward the IRA fee.

I could say something about that, but I can̢۪t think of anything I haven̢۪t already said.

I voted in favor of the initial increase, but I thought coupling the athletic and IRA fee increases was a sneaky, underhanded move that deserved more student scrutiny.

Not that said scrutiny would have mattered in the end anyway.

In the words of the late Kurt Vonnegut, “So it goes.â€Â

And so I don̢۪t really care to say anything about that either. I̢۪m just defeated. For the first time in my four years at this university, I feel like I̢۪ve come absolutely to the end of my tolerance for the routine of school.

I just want to drop it all and read. Good thing today is the last day of classes.

It̢۪s a compulsion I̢۪ve had for the last few weeks.

Typically, I̢۪m so busy with my other schoolwork that I don̢۪t get to do any leisure reading, which is always a disappointment, but always leaves me looking forward to winter and summer breaks, when I can catch up on all the books I wanted to read over the course of the semester, or just forget about those books and read something else entirely.

This semester, summer̢۪s come early. A few weeks ago, I just gave up on doing my work and started working on that list of books.

Instead of working on my papers, I̢۪ve been reading what I want to, when I want to.

Of course, while I̢۪m feeling lazy recently, I̢۪m not one to not do something at all, so I end up just doing all the work I̢۪ve neglected on a much tighter timeline.

It̢۪s stressful, this reading thing.

And so while I̢۪d like to make some kind of poignant commentary about the voice of the students or the apparent schism between students and administrators and teachers, I don̢۪t feel like there̢۪s anything I can muster. I just want to read.

Summer̢۪s come early, and not a moment too soon.