Vintage Days booths test athletic ability

Children dragged their parents around the Boomtown Carnival with the smell of kettle corn and barbeque in the distance.

Interactive inflatable attractions lead children to crowd around to see who would get knocked off the inflatable apparatus first.

“One more time, Dad!â€Â one child said to his father as the child pointed to the inflatable obstacle course.

One girl sat shivering on top of the dunk tank in her bathing suit. The dunk tank, which was sponsored by University Courtyard, brought crowds wanting to have their turn. Adults and children alike eagerly had dollars in hand to get their three chances to dunk the girl into the tub of water.

Senior Lauren Waterworth was helping at the dunk tank for Housing Residents Association (HRA), an organization that helps put on different activities for students living on campus.

“It has been pretty busy all day,â€Â Waterworth said.

The organization was fundraising to provide students with trips and interactive activities near the dorms.

Sadly, many in the crowd had good arms, and the girl was dunked three times in a row.

A couple booths away from the dunk tank, the Sports Medicine Club at Fresno State was inviting families to take the “Athletic Ability Test.â€Â

Senior Christina Orozco and the rest of the Sports Medicine Club tested people to see how fast they could throw a baseball, how fast they could run or how many baskets they could make in the hoop. After, their numbers were compared to Fresno State athletes.

“Its funny,â€Â Orozco said. “Kids even brought their parents over to take the test. And kids have a lot fun seeing how close their scores were to Bear Pascoe.â€Â

And everyone received a prize. One girl came back just for more stickers.

Other booths included ring toss, Ping-Pong toss and peanut shooting gallery competitions hosted by three Fresno State fraternities.

From Friday to Sunday the Boomtown Carnival entertained children until 5 p.m., or until their parents were tired of running around after them.