Students reject IRA fee referendum

Junior Tiana Perez has participated in every election since she started at Fresno State. She voted against the IRA fee referendum because she thought it was unfair that only $20 would go to academics.
Juan Villa / The Collegian

With 65 percent of students voting no on the IRA fee referendum, the issue will be passed along to the campus fee advisory committee for review. They will meet on Monday in a closed meeting to discuss the fee and pass along their recommendation to University President John D. Welty, who will make the final decision. Of the 1,371 students who voted in this year̢۪s election, 1,189 voted on the IRA.

The new ASI President will be Mackee M. Mason, a senior mass communication and journalism major. With 474 votes, Mason will step into office on June 1. Mason said he plans to continue his grassroots approach while in office, by reaching out to students and getting them more involved in ASI. “I want to talk about the issues with them,â€Â Mason said. As for his position on the IRA, he plans to talk to both University President John D. Welty and the students to find out why they voted no. Mason hopes that students will work with him, and asks students to “please hold me accountable.â€Â

The turnout for this year̢۪s Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) election far exceeded the previous year, with 1,371 students coming to the polls.

“The IRA was definitely a driver for the voter turnout,â€Â said ASI Elections Commissioner Erik Cuadros.

The Instructionally Related Activity (IRA) fee referendum, which students ultimately voted against, would have increased student fees by $70 per semester. Sports would get $50 of the money and the remaining $20 would fund field trips, club activities and other student-related activities on campus.

Cuadros said that the four presidential candidates and numerous senator positions up for election also gave a lot of different students reason to vote.

Senior Mackee Mason was elected next year̢۪s ASI president.

Other election results included Lauren Johnson for Vice President of Finance, Jessica Sweeten for Senator of the College of Agriculture Sciences & Technology, Paul Herrera for Senator of the College of Arts & Humanities, Graham Wahlberg for Senator of the College of Engineering, Jamie Ruddy for Senator of the College of Science & Mathematics and Anton Bortolussi for Senator of the College of Social Sciences.

Seven senators at-large were elected: Beatriz Campuzano, Sandra Flores, Jorge Hernandez, Sarait Martinez, Craig Parks, Eduardo Rodriguez and Ryan Welch.

As students stood in lines waiting to vote this year, many were surprised. At last year̢۪s election, in which 494 students voted, there were almost no lines at the polls.

Second time voter Stephanie Obad, a sophomore agriculture communications major, and her friend were shocked to see a line in the University Student Union on the last day of voting. She said last year there was no line when she voted.

Although the line was a bit of an inconvenience, Obad said it was worth the wait.

“I think it’s good. It means that more people are voting and getting involved, I just didn’t expect a line,â€Â Obad said.

Like many voters, friends̢۪ names on the ballot were what brought Obad to the polls. She said she went to support them.

As for the IRA fee referendum, Obad was undecided. She admitted it would be nice to not have to pay more, but also saw the advantages to the athletics program if the referendum passed.

Other students were much more decided on their opinion of the referendum.

Becky Sievers, a senior civil engineering major, voted no on the IRA. Besides not participating in sporting activities, she does not want to see more fee increases.

“I don’t use the sports anyway, so getting in free to games doesn’t help me as it does other students,â€Â Sievers said. “Besides, other fees are increasing, and it is just going to hurt even more.â€Â

Kurtis Urien, a junior political science major, agreed that he was just not interested in increasing fees.

One student said he would have voted for the bill, if it were going to benefit women̢۪s sports. Dalitso Ruwe, a sophomore psychology major said he is not willing to pay more to see funding for men̢۪s sports increase.

“If it were in favor of the women’s teams, I would have definitely voted for it,â€Â Ruwe said.

Maria Alcocer, a junior majoring in psychology, was one of the few voting “yesâ€Â on the IRA Thursday morning. She would like to see more variety of athletics on campus.

“I think it’s good,â€Â Alcocer said. “We need more money for other sports.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

JoshApr 15, 2008 at 10:40 pm

This election saw over 3 times the turnout of last year, the students have spoken and they said they don’t want to pay more for athletics. This is a university, let’s focus on education and not on athletics, I’m here to learn, not to pay for something I and many others don’t care about. I think alot of this is because of the lawsuits that came against the University for their bigoted policies concerning certain genders….Don’t punish the students for the follies of the admin.

JoshApr 16, 2008 at 5:40 am

• E

EddieApr 13, 2008 at 11:33 pm

Wait, “no more” fee increases from students to finance Bulldogs sports? Have there been ANY recently…?

And who’s responsibility is it exactly to finance these Fresno State athletics? Does it ALL fall on the proud alums and community supporters? Because those people have done a heck of a lot to contribute already.

• E

EddieApr 14, 2008 at 6:33 am

• K

Kimbo T. SlyceApr 13, 2008 at 11:08 pm

No more fee increases from students to finance Bulldog sports. Fresno State administrators better take note and follow the voice of the students tomorrow.

• K

Kimbo T. SlyceApr 14, 2008 at 6:08 am

• E

EddieApr 12, 2008 at 8:53 pm

I really don’t understand the lack of vision some students seem to have regarding Fresno State as a whole. The Bee story showed a plain-as-day chart on similar funding at other CSUs. Fresno State has by far the most successful sports program of any CSU (on the field and in the classroom in sports such as football), yet Fresno State students monetarily support their athletic program less than anyone else. It just doesn’t make sense.

Those above commenting that they don’t want any more money going to football or other men’s sports must not realize that the recent addition of two more women’s programs (swim & dive and lacrosse) are one of the primary reasons more funding is needed in the athletic department. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and Fresno State has done far more with far less than most other universities this size. These men’s sports generate the majority of community support and community donors, who allow all of us in the community to enjoy such competitive sports programs.

Ever wonder how many other schools even consider the students’ voice through a vote? My guess is very little to none. My guess is also that most schools just raise the amount students pay without any prior notice. In this case, I’d have no problem with that. Students don’t get to vote whether tuition is going to increase. Why should this be any different? Let’s have some vision. Let’s be the best we can in everything that we do as a university.

• E

EddieApr 13, 2008 at 3:53 am

• H

Hector CerdaApr 11, 2008 at 9:39 pm

So does anyone know where this meeting is to be held?

• H

Hector CerdaApr 12, 2008 at 4:39 am

DanApr 11, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Some background….

Dr. Welty convened a committee to examine athletic department finances and operations. That group (which has a page on the university’s website) which included administration, faculty, students and community members recommended a large fee increase to bring Fresno State in line with the other CSU campuses.

The committee issued its report in December. The report is available on the university’s website. Around the same time, there was a lengthy story in the Fresno Bee about the report and the possibility of increased student fees.

I have to say I was surprised by how little coverage there was of the IRA referendum prior to the election.

Not everything has to be instantly transparent. The fee advisory committee is one of several that meet behind closed doors. The academic petitions committee, for example, meets in private.

I’m sure the fee committee is well aware of how a small percentage of students voted. Some in the community are already saying the vote was ridicious because over 20,000 students chose not to vote. One could then argue the result is not representative of how students might really feel–a case could be made that it doesn’t matter one way or another to most students.

DanApr 12, 2008 at 4:21 am

Some background….

• G

gmApr 11, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Dan – I certainly agree that criminal behavior should never be part of the process and I would implore everyone to express their opinions in a respectful manner. No member of ANY community, not just the campus fee advisory committee, should have to put up with such behavior.

Yet, your solution is to eliminate discourse and accountability based upon the previous actions of thugs and criminals. That provides a rather convenient blank check with which discussion or dissent of any kind can be stifled because a few people in the past conducted themselves in a manner “that borders on the criminal or just plain rude.” That is a rather remarkable standard to establish when it comes to the rights of students and members of the community to know what is going on in the university and why. Has it been applied to administrators and coaches in light of the actions taken by some of their predecessors?

Transparency can be rather inconvenient and we all know, based on recent events and court cases, that it is a rather novel concept to the CSU. Nevertheless, I believe it is essential to the continued health and development of our campus culture. If we want to grow athletics and have the students pay for it, then we must convince them of the necessity of that course, not ram it down their throats based upon the recommendation of a nameless group whose opinion matters more than that of the student body.

I would like to believe Dan, that your primary concern is about the safety and welfare of all involved, but I can’t help but think that your original post is a more accurate reflection of your thinking about students expressing their views. It is just so bothersome to have to listen to people whose opinion doesn’t really matter to you, isn’t it?

• G

gmApr 11, 2008 at 10:57 pm

• H

H WApr 11, 2008 at 3:44 pm

As far as the IRA fee goes, I voted against it because I did not want to see more money being poured into football and other men’s sports instead of academics. I mean, most of us are here at Fresno State to get a high quality education. If there is going to be a fee increase, it should go to academics. But, if the fee were to provide women sports such as equestrian with more money, I probably would have supported that. But just as the comment above me said, if President Welty has the authority to override our voting voices, then what is the point?

• H

H WApr 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm

DanApr 11, 2008 at 2:53 pm

gm–discourse on the Fresno State campus hasn’t been exactly civil in the past. Death threats, fisticuffs, and explosives marked disputes around Associated Students in the 1990s, and it wasn’t so long ago that a student who supported the war in Iraq had his picture taken in the Free Speech Area as he was trying to choke another student with whom he disagreed with.

Members of the committee should not have to contend with the sort of “civil discourse” that borders on the criminal or just plain rude.

DanApr 11, 2008 at 9:53 pm

• V

vlApr 11, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I don’t understand why such referendums are even put on the ballot if they can be overturned by Dr. Welty. I find it pointless for us to even vote on it.

• V

vlApr 11, 2008 at 7:02 pm

• G

gmApr 11, 2008 at 11:42 am

Students expressing their opinion about a fee that they will have to pay is not heckling. If office doors are closed to the opinions of students, the people the institution exists to serve, then those inside are in the wrong position. There is absolutely no reason for this decision to be made in secret.

• G

gmApr 11, 2008 at 6:42 pm

DanApr 11, 2008 at 10:56 am

The members of the advisory committee don’t need to have a bunch of students heckling them via email or by banging on their office door!

DanApr 11, 2008 at 5:56 pm

• G

gmApr 11, 2008 at 9:13 am

The names of the members that make up the campus fee advisory committee would have been a useful addition to this piece. Since Welty can still decide to increase the IRA, despite referendum results, students should continue to make their voices heard on this issue. If the advisory committee recommends the increase, each member should have their vote posted on Fresno State News and published in the Collegian. Transparency is a necessary and healthy ingredient for our institution, particularly in light of the events of the past few years. If people want to overturn the results of the election held this week, they should have the courage of their convictions and be willing to proclaim why.

• G

gmApr 11, 2008 at 4:13 pm