Since 1998, Joe Moore has been tuned in to KFSR

Behind two extra-heavy doors and surrounded by soundproof walls, campus radio station KFSR-FM 90.7 is tucked inside the Speech Arts building — away from the eyes of most students.

The radio station doesn̢۪t offer a specific style of music. Instead, the station creates programming that is relevant to the community.

The station manager, Joe Moore, began working for KFSR in 1998 as a volunteer DJ. A Fresno native, he graduated from Clovis High School and got his Bachelor of Arts in history from Fresno State. In 2004, he was hired as the first full-time station manager for KFSR.

Moore, along with 30 volunteers, uses a variety of equipment — from computers to old-school turntables — to broadcast the station throughout the Fresno metro area and Fresno County and reaching 30,000 listeners weekly.

The Collegian sat down with Moore, who watches over all station operations and programming. He also hosts a jazz program that airs Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

Question: What attracted you to work at Fresno State?

Answer: I think in general it̢۪s a great city to be in. Fresno is not finished like bigger cities like L.A. Here in Fresno, you are able to come in and have an impact from day one. There are so many more opportunities here.

Q: At KFSR, you are the station manager. What were your job responsibilities at the other radio stations that you worked at?

A: While I worked at KTIP in Porterville, I was not the station manager. I did on-air positions. I was part of the weekend staff that did the morning news that was the 5:30 to noon shift.

Q: KFSR̢۪s programming mostly consists of jazz. Why jazz on a college campus, rather than the pop music that most college students listen to?

A: Most colleges play classical, jazz, news, triple-A [adult album alternative] and traditional college music. We like to look at ourselves as hybrid between all the different types. We play jazz. We play rock. We play salsa. We play electronic music. We even have an alt-country show and an independent hip-hop show. We have programs in Armenian and Hmong.

We̢۪re very diverse, just like the community we are licensed to serve. You̢۪ll hear bands that you̢۪ve never heard of before, groups that are on their way to becoming famous, local artists working on new sounds. We provide programming for listeners who are bored with pop music and bored with commercial radio.

Q: Does FM radio matter anymore? Does the product that a little station like KFSR produces on a daily basis matter?

A: I definitely think so. We have 30,000 people that listen. It fills a local niche. We have localism, which makes us unique and relevant. We can produce programming that features local artists, talks about local issues, and is a reflection of our community. Our philosophy is playing an active part in the community.

Q: How does KSFR differ from other local radio stations?

A: KFSR differs locally. Most are corporate owned and don’t have local content. You have to understand how they work. We have a live DJ on air every day, unlike other stations that do not. Our staff, by in large, are music lovers and are passionate to share it with the audience. They select the music that plays, which is unheard of in radio today. We are a noncommercial radio station that does something important for the community but doesn’t make money. … It’s being local that makes us unique and relevant.

Q: What has been your best experience at KFSR? What is the most difficult part of this job?

A: Being able to get involved. Interacting with different organizations around Fresno. There is always something new going on. … We focus on the students to be on air and learn skills to help turn them into careers for them.

The most difficult part of my job is that it is 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The process never ends, Christmas, Easter, Fourth of July, any break; there is always something to do. I am on call every day. It is not something you can just turn off.