Increased IRA: Fee referendum on ASI ballot

Starting April 8, students will choose whether they want a $70 increase in student fees.

The increase will be part of the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) election ballot, in addition to choosing a new president for ASI and new representatives for a variety of student government positions.

While the increase is under one referendum on the ballot, called the Instructionally Related Activity (IRA) Fee, the money will go to two different locations.

First, $50 of the $70 will go toward athletics, ensuring free tickets to all events except football, and locking in the football ticket price at $15 until 2012. The money will also cover the rising costs of maintaining current athletic programs, as well as fund the two new women̢۪s sports: lacrosse and swimming and diving.

“The additional money will enhance student welfare and safety,â€Â said Paul Oliaro, Ph.D., Dean of Student Affairs.

The new sports were added to help Fresno State meet Title IX compliance. None of the money will be used to pay off the recent lawsuit judgments against the university.

Right now, students pay $7 toward athletics, as part of the $30 student body fee. Fresno State is unique among other California State Universities, in that 85 percent of the athletics budget comes from donations and ticket sales, said ASI President Juan Pablo Moncayo.

However, he said, “we’ve kind of hit a capâ€Â and are having trouble raising the money.

The remaining $20 in the increase will go toward the IRA fund. This fund pays for field trips, club activities, conferences, art exhibits and a variety of other student-related activities on campus.

Currently students pay $10 a semester to the IRA, creating a fund of $400,000. However, due to the large amount of clubs and other student activities, the fund receives $2 million in requests each semester.

As far as having the two different programs combined into one increase, Josh McDonald, chief of staff for Moncayo, said that the reason that the two fees were combined was to allow athletics and the IRA committees to campaign together, instead of competing against each other.

Moncayo said that combining the fees puts students in an awkward place.

“You want to know what students actually think,â€Â he said, adding that it’s hard to get a sense of that if the referendum covers two different things.

Oliaro, however, said the “whole proposal has merit.â€Â

“The athletics program serves the entire campus,â€Â he said.

ASI Elections
The ASI elections will span three days:

̢ۢ Tuesday, April 8, from noon to 5 p.m.

̢ۢ Wednesday, April 9 and Thursday, April 10, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

̢ۢ Polling places are the University Student Union, the Joyal Administration Building, the Satellite Student Union and the South Gymnasium

$100
$500

$100
$500

Aide NavarroApr 24, 2008 at 3:00 pm

First of all i would like to make it clear that i have nothing against the athletics departmnet, infact i have some close friends that take part in the program.

it is rediculous to throw the students vote out of the picture in a decision that we should have a say in.

There has been a great emphasis on the fact that students do not vote and there have been efforts to get us out there to the poles to put in our votes for the upcoming elections. But what happens when, for most cases, the younger population, in a situation like this sees that ultimately whether or not they vote their vote will not count. It is redundant to ask for the students vote when infact we are only treated as an insignificant variable, and thrown out of the picture.

Now you asked for our votes and we voted many students did not but the fact the these many did says something.

The small sample of voters significantly showed what we want.

the committe and people ask themselves the why only a small amount of people went out there and voted and and even questions the results.

Would it have been different if the refferendum would of passed? ofcourse!

and the sad thing is that where does my vote stand? i was urged to vote and to see it thrown away simply shows the how much my fellow classmates and i are taken into consideration!!!

Aide NavarroApr 24, 2008 at 10:00 pm

bfApr 10, 2008 at 12:39 pm

To whom it might concern:
    I don’t understand why the first easy solution is always to increase the fees and poor students have to pay it. Have ever heard about fund raising? Be creative!!!

Once again you can’t use students as means to your ends. I totally disagree with increasing the fees. It sounds like they can’t ever come up with any intelligent solution than increasing the fees. If this money was going to put more budget in our departments in need for laboratory tools and other educational purposes, than it would be somewhat acceptable.

For the first time we want to see that Fresno State is known for other reasons than Sport. We have great programs and great students at our Engineering Department who make a difference in every day̢۪s life. Instead we can use more money for educational purposes.

Forget it…You guys are encouraging more and more freshmen and new graduates to leave Fresno and attend other Universities.

bfApr 10, 2008 at 7:39 pm

To whom it might concern:

For the first time we want to see that Fresno State is known for other reasons than Sport. We have great programs and great students at our Engineering Department who make a difference in every day’s life. Instead we can use more money for educational purposes.

• P

Phyllis JohnsonApr 7, 2008 at 9:08 pm

To Whom This May Concern,

I feel that the majority of students on Fresno State campus are barely making ends met. I love sports but If the majority of the money was going to academics instead of the sports programs the increase would be acceptable. The only reason these type of fees are being filtered to the students is because of bad decisions made by the adminstration. Why should the students have to suffer, if student fees increase it should be related to the classroom environment. I am totally against the rate increase and sports get enough money already.

Phyllis

• P

Phyllis JohnsonApr 8, 2008 at 4:08 am

To Whom This May Concern,

Phyllis

• H

Hector CerdaApr 5, 2008 at 3:42 pm

you have some good insight Dan, so what do you think is a solution to keep costs for students from rising? do we even have a choice? sounds like we cant win either way, students will be shot down and decisions made on our behalf without our behalf or our input.

For as long as i can remeber since i was a child growin gup in the 80s/90s, the fresno state campus and the athleitcs always have issues that come up with finances.

• H

Hector CerdaApr 5, 2008 at 10:42 pm

DanApr 5, 2008 at 11:07 am

Here’s my take on the Athletics fee…

First of all, this is not the first time students have been asked to help save the intercollegiate sports program. In 1980, students approved a $5 IRA fee to save intercollegiate badminton, aquatics and gymnastics at Fresno State. None of those sports ultimately survived budget cuts (the last, women’s swimming and diving, was cut in 2004). I’ve wondered over the last 28 years whatever happened to the BAG fee. Then in the mid-1990s, students approved a fee that guaranteed free admission to most Bulldog sporting events in exchange for the additional funding.

Second of all, the vote is advisory only. According to the Bee’s story today, Dr. Welty could choose to impose the increase even if students vote no. Or, he could choose not to even if the majority of students voting approve it.

On a related note, very few people even bother to vote. An argument could be made that the election results are in fact meaningless, particularly if the majority vote no.

Lastly, if students vote no, there could be a backlash from the community. For example, some boosters might decide not to hire Fresno State students. There is no way boosters will tolerate the Bulldogs dropping to Division 1-AA, and they may take their anger out on the students.

DanApr 5, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Here’s my take on the Athletics fee…

• H

Hector CerdaApr 4, 2008 at 10:19 am

I disagree with the IRA increase having any type of MERIT or sounding like a solution. Just because there are $2 million in requests for IRA fees does not mean that they are all valid and worth granting. Students please be cautious when reading meida such as this that shows numbers, we must question them.

And why does the IRA fee have to be unequal? if there are $2 million in requests for IRA grants shouldnt the $50 IRA increas go to IRA and $20 go to Atheltics?

Unless its 50/50 it doesnt sound like we are being treated equally.

• H

Hector CerdaApr 4, 2008 at 5:19 pm

• G

gmApr 4, 2008 at 9:31 am

Rest assured that combining the 2 fee proposals was quite deliberate. The notion that it was done so the 2 committees would not have to campaign against each other is laughable and should give students pause when they consider whose interests some members of student government are looking out for. Each of these proposals should be evaluated on their own merit by the people who have to pay them. That is precisely what people who are trying to ram the increase for athletics down the throats of students present and future are afraid of.

Even the benefits of the athletic portion are being couched in terms that mislead. Why would this fee have to go up this much to ensure students free access to all athletic events other than football? It costs the university virtually nothing to give students this access. Have you seen hundreds of paying customers turned away from games because the stands were full of students and their free tickets? This increase is all about rising costs in the athletic program and funding the 2 new sports. Students may decide that is a worthwhile use for their money, but everyone should be highly skeptical when games like combining a generally popular proposal with a controversial one and obscuring the primary reason for a fee increase are being played.

• G

gmApr 4, 2008 at 4:31 pm