Hungry for a fair alternative

Foot-long corn dogs, warm crunchy kettle corn and sweet funnel cakes in hand or on Styrofoam trays were carried and consumed by hundreds of people this past weekend.

No this wasn’t the Big Fresno Fair, it was Vintage Days held right here on campus, which to one attendee is a good thing, because he likes how the same type of food that’s offered at the fair was at Vintage Days –– for a better deal.

“Overall I think Vintage Days provides more for your buck,â€Â Jesus Gonzales said. “It’s the same if not better food for a way cheaper price, plus you don’t have to pay to get in or to park.â€Â

Even though the food at Vintage Days may not be the initial draw for most attendees, the aroma of all the different offerings sometimes overwhelms them, like Pam Manseau who brought her extended family with her this time to the event.

“I mainly came to show my sister-in-law and nieces the crafts, but we haven’t even made it over there, yet because they keep getting distracted by and stopping for the food,â€Â Manseau said.

Representing different cultures and ethnicities, the food, ranging from carne asada tacos to fried lemon chicken, was mostly provided by on — campus organizations such as clubs, fraternities and sororities.

Several organizations realized the importance of food selection when it comes to having a booth at Vintage Days. Jermaine Armstrong was surprised at the response to the Phi Omega Alpha̢۪s booth when the members decided to make carne asada tacos this year rather than pretzels, like last year.

“We did OK last year selling pretzels, but nothing compared to the tacos,â€Â Armstrong said. “We didn’t expect anything like this, the line has been long all day and we have been going non stop ever since we opened.â€Â

Amidst all the pizza, fried chicken, hamburgers, and chili cheese there may seem like there isn̢۪t much healthy low-fat options to choose from. That̢۪s why senior Sarah Meadows said her organizations Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma decided to have a chicken caesar salad booth.

“It was such a hit last year when we did it because not everyone likes to eat all that really sweet, greasy and fattening food,â€Â Meadows said. “Especially during the afternoon when it gets hot, people like to eat something cool and fresh.â€Â

Some organizations found success by offering great combo deals. Armstrong̢۪s Phi Omega Alpha had a $5 carne asada taco deal featuring two tacos, rice and beans and a drink. While Chi Delta Beta gave away free lemonade with their Frito boats.

Alumnus Rith Lom, who came to help his former brothers sell the frito boats, said it isn̢۪t always about the money.

“Yes the money helps us to make our scholarship fund, but it’s not just about that, about the profit,â€Â Lom said. “Vintage Days is about fun and we want the food to be great and affordable letting those that come have a good time.â€Â

Sandra Vidales said her family always has a great time when they come to Vintage Days. The festival always seems to land on or around her birthday and this year marks the third time her family has attended.

“I feel Vintage Days is a part of my birthday celebration, sort of Fresno State’s gift to me, I mean there’s all this great food, music and entertainment, right?â€Â Vidales said. “Especially the food man, we love the food.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

ksvApr 22, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Food will always bring in people. Sorry but its true. Its all about food.

• K

ksvApr 22, 2008 at 7:32 pm