Different instruments: From drums to keyboards

FLOATING IN A WORLD OF AMBIGUITY CAN spark a sense of vulnerability that, in some instances, can prove to be detrimental to one̢۪s identity.

The youthful mind often aspires to achieve a variety of promising careers: fireman, doctor or even president.

It is no secret that the whimsical childhood realm that we often long to return is seemingly comprised of simplicity, fairy dust, and sweets however, there is something to be said about that which this unrealistic world of fantasy and nostalgia can provide.

From the age of 5 to the age of 18, I aspired to be a professional drummer, just like my father.

While my contemporaries were out seeing movies and chasing each other around town, I found significance in my steadfast attempts to be a fraction of the musician that my father is. My brother and I were determined to build and strengthen our musical foundations through relentless, yet enjoyable, rudiment drills and sight reading exercises.

As is the nature of retrospective life analysis, high school knocked on my door the very next day with its hands full of opportunities, just waiting for me to lighten it̢۪s load.

High school marching band was inevitable, as was concert band, symphonic orchestra, and a variety of drumline competitions.

Currently, I am applying for writing and editing positions in the Hollywood area in which I grew up. How did this happen?

Don̢۪t get me wrong, I find a great deal of satisfaction in my passion for writing. It just seems interesting that, within me, once existed an identity that was literally defined by a specific interest that was percussion.

Maybe it was my mother and father̢۪s warnings of potential failure in a profession that relies heavily upon making connections and networking, not to mention the fact that everyone in L.A. plays the drums.

The childhood mind swims in a pool of simplicity, and despite a parent’s attempts to “roust it outâ€Â for dinner, it will insist that it does the contrary.

To me, this fact is one to be cherished. Children have no need to second guess their aspirations and the conquest of financial gain is of peripheral significance.

On May 17, thousands of Fresno State students will be moving on to the professional world, equipped with knowledge (some useful and some not), a diploma and an entire world at their disposal.

While they may or may not realize it, they are also a walking open canvas as they once were in childhood, almost experiencing a re-birth of sorts. A whip of the brush is a splash of life and every stroke contributes to defining their new identities.

Some might be looking upon themselves wondering where they will go and what they will do, some will go directly into their career of choice, and others will wonder how they have strayed from their childhood dreams. This form of reflection is, arguably, the most detrimental self analysis that one can put himself or herself through. It is the thought that a poor degree decision may have been made and the conceptualizing of that which one̢۪s degree might represent.

A bachelor̢۪s degree could land an individual in a position of being under-qualified for the career that they really wish to obtain while being over-qualified for the career that they will have.

To combat these reflections, here are some thoughts that I believe will aid a new graduate in finding comfort in their inevitable unsettling vulnerability.

It will be important for you to maintain confidence in your new professional identity. To do this, seek to pursue your passions in your workplace, even if your workplace does not directly relate to your passions.

It is important never to forget that which compelled you to shape yourself into who you are, at the very least, for your own sanity.

Remember that you are in a unique position to relate to that child that knew exactly what he or she wanted to do later in life. Your graduation represents a re-birth in which new goals can be set and a certain degree of simplicity can be returned to you (at least for a little while).

There are always options in life and you are never in a position where you must settle.

Although sometimes you might feel as though you painted yourself into a corner, the paint will always dry and you will be eventually be able to leave the room.

While I know that I have strayed from my own childhood career choice, I personally find comfort in the fact that I will be able to express myself in a similar fashion, only utilizing a different artistic medium.

I might be poor but I will be happy.

It would definitely be a huge bummer to be poor, though.

$100
$500

$100
$500

MiguelMay 6, 2008 at 1:07 am

Contemporary man? I don’t mean to pick on ya…

Rembrandt had a contemporary.

Check this out, a poor man doesn’t sign the checks, most that do are baby-boomers (hint). I’m not down with that whole colluded effort that aspires to change for our benefit (or whose benefit).

Great write, after you marinated a bit Jon. Good luck in Hollywood, maybe I’ll see you there. I have a few friends there, strange place. I just called it quits with one actor friend that was a bit bazaar to me. I had to come to see him to understand his craziness.

You have an awesome hero man. Hey, so what about those entrepreneurs that won this award thing. I mean, I’m thinking they must be on something. Fresno State launched the opening of a Winery, while trying to reduce the probability of under age drinking or juvenile delinquency. I’m thinking they better calculate a .40 error. Whatever, they can always document that after wards and call it risk management for later use and not give marketing its just in whom gages the impact of socio-political forces…lol. I can’t wait for next semester. I think I’m broken in now.

Just another Economic Hit Man or whatever. That’s one book I’d burn…lol.

Cheers.
    Wait a minute did you write you were graduating? Here’s to money driven dogs and prags. It would suck to be poor.

MiguelMay 6, 2008 at 8:07 am

Rembrandt had a contemporary.

Cheers.

MiguelMay 6, 2008 at 8:07 am

Rembrandt had a contemporary.

Cheers.

Jonathan LaneApr 29, 2008 at 6:16 am

Great insight!

Jonathan LaneApr 29, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Great insight!

Jonathan LaneApr 29, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Great insight!

Jonathan LaneApr 25, 2008 at 8:36 pm

You certainly speak the truth, thank you!

Jonathan LaneApr 26, 2008 at 3:36 am

Jonathan LaneApr 26, 2008 at 3:36 am

Alicia SanchezApr 25, 2008 at 2:35 pm

Great advice! Positive encouragement to those uncertain of the next few months after graduation. You̢۪re never too old to purse a life of happiness through the eyes of your inner child. Congratulations!!!
    -Alicia

Alicia SanchezApr 25, 2008 at 9:35 pm

Great advice! Positive encouragement to those uncertain of the next few months after graduation. You’re never too old to purse a life of happiness through the eyes of your inner child. Congratulations!!!
    -Alicia

Alicia SanchezApr 25, 2008 at 9:35 pm

-Alicia