Closed fee meeting now open to students

Students will have another chance to speak their mind about the possible Instructionally Related Activities (IRA) fee increase today, from 4 – 5 p.m. in the University Student Union rooms 312 – 314.

Due to the level of student interest in the $70 increase, Dean of Student Affairs Paul Oliaro said that the Campus Fee Advisory Committee, which he is also the chair of, decided to hold the public forum to give students further chance to comment.

“Fresno State students have demonstrated they are very interested in this next phase of the process, and we want to encourage them to participate,â€Â Oliaro said in a press release.

A group of about 20 students formed after the Associated Students, Inc. (ASI) elections earlier this month, where students voted against the fee increase. Led by Hector Cerda, a senior liberal studies major, the group was upset at the possibility that University President John D. Welty could still approve the increase, despite students having voted against it.

Today̢۪s fee committee meeting is a crucial step in the process, as the committee will be making their final recommendation to Welty on the increase.

Traditionally the fee committee meetings are closed. However, Cerda and several other students approached ASI at their meeting last Thursday, asking for help in getting this meeting opened, in order to increase transparency in the university̢۪s decision-making process.

Members of ASI have met several times with Oliaro about opening the fee committee meeting.

“ASI has been committed to ensuring an open process,â€Â said ASI Executive Vice President Stephen Trembley. “We are pleased that our dialogue provided this solution.â€Â

After the public forum today, the fee committee meeting will also be opened at 5 p.m. for students to observe the committee members as they discuss their recommendation to Welty.