Chingy for change: A cause on pause for a quick game

'Oh my god, that̢۪s got to be Chingy,' a student could be heard yelling as fans cheered him on yesterday afternoon at the University Student Union, where he lost to student Rion Spears.
Ryan Tubongbanua / The Collegian

Someone else other than Fresno State students struck out at the bowling alley located on the bottom floor of University Student Union (USU) yesterday afternoon.

Camera flashes went off and crowds formed as students realized who it was that was bowling next to them on the far right lane.

“Oh my god!â€Â one female student exclaimed. “That’s got to be Chingy!â€Â

Rap artist Howard “Chingyâ€Â Bailey and crew came to Fresno State to officially kick off Vintage Days with a performance on the USU south patio and a panel discussion later that evening at the Satellite Student Union.

Chingy was on campus most of the day. He started his tour by first playing a few games of bowling with his family, sister “Ziggyâ€Â Bailey and cousin “Spiffy,â€Â also fellow musicians. But surprisingly Chingy was outmatched by Fresno State student Rion “Chicagoâ€Â Spears.

Chicago is looking to break into the entertainment business with his writing and poetry and has already performed on HBO̢۪s Def Poetry Jam.

He performed on stage before Chingy during yesterday̢۪s opening ceremonies. Chicago said he warned Chingy the previous evening about his bowling skills when it was mentioned that he might want to play.

“I told him back when we was kickin’ it at the hotel that I was gonna to whip him. But did he listen? Obviously not,â€Â said Chicago through bouts of laughter.

But Chingy was here for more than just bowling and to kick off Vintage Days. He was here to discuss the deteriorating image of hip hop and spread the word about his new foundation “Chingy for Changeâ€Â targeted to help at-risk youths.

Their goal, according to Chingy̢۪s mother Vernita Crawford, director of the foundation, is to have youth realize their full potential and have a full understanding of what they are capable of achieving in life.

“Just because I’m in this position doesn’t mean I forget where I come from. I still, like, and want to give back,â€Â Chingy said.

Chingy said the foundation has started off strong and has already given several scholarships to promising youths looking to break into the business.

“I want everyone to know that no matter what, school comes first and education matters,â€Â Chingy said.

Besides starting up the foundation, Chingy has several projects in the works.

He just recently released his album “Hate It or Love It â€Â and is working on starting up a reality show centered on his family entitled “Business with the Baileys.â€Â He is also looking to formally break into acting.

“I can’t give it all away, but I got three movies lined up starring me, that’s all I can say,â€Â Chingy said.

As for the deteriorating image of hip-hop, Chingy has this advice for students.

“Yes, there are negative aspects of the hip hop world, but people need to remember the positive aspects,â€Â Chingy said. “I think sometimes there’s too much focus on the ‘bad’ image related to the business. I want students to come away understanding the truth about the business.â€Â