Bringing back the Valley̢۪s heart

Two lanes. Only two lanes of road existed for state Highway 99 and lined all along its stretch were dozens of farm markets. Markets providing oranges, grapes, berries and more of what some claim is the world̢۪s best produce.

This is the Central Valley Beverly Knobloch and her family remembers.

They hope to preserve the way of agriculture in the Valley as they grew to know it with their recent $2 million dollar gift to Fresno State –– a donation that stems from memories of the way Valley life used to be.

“My grandparents and great parents came to the Valley. They read about how wonderful and rich it was,â€Â Knobloch said.

Early on a weekend morning they would follow the two-lane road, marking their route with fruit stands instead of roadsigns –– all a part of the family tradition of visiting the grandparents.

“The Central Valley is vital,â€Â Knobloch said. “We need to remember that this area has rich farmland we can’t afford to lose.â€Â

Knobloch is the daughter of Rue and Gwen Gibson and older sister of Joyce Mae Gibson. She spoke at the dedication ceremony last week that unveiled the newly renamed Rue and Gwen Gibson Fresno State Farm Market and established an endowment for the equine studies program.

Knobloch said her family has been here since the very early days of settlement in the Central California area.

Her great grandparents came in the late 1880s and were witness to the surge of land cultivation resulting from the realization that the Valley has such fertile soil.

Farm markets began sprouting up everywhere in the late 1920s, which made Knobloch̢۪s father, Rue Gibson, become very fond of the area. Her father eventually built his own ranch near the San Joaquin River, where his long devotion to the area began.

“My father fell love in love with the Valley and with the succulent produce that could be grown here,â€Â Knobloch said.

She said that the agriculture oriented way of life in the Valley unified her family as they learned to respect the land and its value –– together.

“I remember in the mornings we would use the produce we bought from local markets or that we grew ourselves to make our own jam for breakfast,â€Â Knobloch said. “Then we would go out and ride horses or pick cotton, always together, as a family.â€Â

She said her family̢۪s lifestyle changed with the rise of supermarkets, development, strip malls and houses. Knobloch said a disconnect developed between the people and the land.

Her family strongly believed that preserving the land and helping local farm markets will keep the original spirit of the Valley alive.

This mentality amongst many in the Central Valley has helped farm markets from completely disappearing.

In fact, the number of farm markets is back on the rise.

According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) this recent boom can be attributed to the fact these markets provide food for the elderly and low-income families at better and more affordable prices. In a recent study conducted in 2006, by the USDA, the farmers market directory in 2006 listed 4,385 farmers markets operating in the United States, representing an 18 percent increase from 3,706 farmers markets in 2004.

The city of Chowchilla recently purchased Mammoth Orange, a citrus stand that closed down several years back.

They plan to move, remodel and reopen it, adding to the growing resurgence of farm markets around the valley.

Knobloch hopes this recent change in the sentiment about the Valley continues and that maybe more gifts like those of her family̢۪s will help bring back the Central Valley she remembers.

“We need to be good stewarts of the land because until recently I don’t think we appreciate it as much as we could,â€Â Knobloch said. “There is a paradise here we need to protect.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

JizabelApr 10, 2008 at 1:41 am

That money will probably find its way into JP Moncayo’s hands somehow. Son of a bitch.

JizabelApr 10, 2008 at 8:41 am

JizabelApr 10, 2008 at 8:41 am