Blood Center on campus this week and during Vintage Days

Someone wants your blood.

No, it̢۪s not a vampire. The Central California Blood Center on-campus blood drive was launched on April 8. It̢۪s sponsored by the Jan and Bud Richter Center for Community Engagement and Service-Learning, began at the University Courtyard Dining Hall.

It will continue April 9 and 10 from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at various locations on campus, including the University Student Union and the Education Building, the Maple Mall and the Peters Business Building.

Normally, student response has been good to these types of drives.

“College and high school students give the most out of anyone and they are usually healthier. Without them, these blood drives would not be successful,â€Â said Donor Recruiter Lynn Stone.

These drives provide blood to 31 different hospitals around California. Usually, each drive will collect between 443 to 550 pints of blood.

“Disease is one of those things you can’t get a shot or a pill for. You have to have blood or you’ll die,â€Â she said.

Stone believes these drives are vital to improving the lives of those who are ill.

“You may be able to do something good for someone and change someone’s life, and it’s really easy. Saving someone’s live is the ultimate good,â€Â Stone said

Norma Jarret has been involved with the blood center for two and a half years as a nurse. She got involved after retiring from working for the Department of Corrections for over 40 years.

“I was not satisfied with retirement, so I got applied for a job at the blood center,â€Â she said.

One of the reasons she applied was because she witnessed her mom̢۪s battle with cancer and saw her need for constant transfusions. Because the issue of blood donation was close to her, she felt that working for the Blood Center would be a good idea.

“It’s rewarding knowing that you’re helping the community. It has been a good experience. You meet a lot of nice people,â€Â she said.
For those who want to donate but are unable to donate during the scheduled times, there will be another blood drive during Vintage Days on April 18, 19 and 20. They will be near the Education Building from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Central California Blood Center allows blood drives on campus four times a year. Although the drive is usually held in May, it had to be moved to April this year due to schedule conflicts. The Community Engagement and Service-Learning office makes the decision on when blood drives on campus are held.