April 7, 2008: ASI Presidential Debates, Part II

Part II: Questions on standing up for students, construction projects and the California budget. Closing statements and polling information follow.

[display_podcast]

$100
$500

$100
$500

BulldogerApr 10, 2008 at 12:14 am

Hector, you make me sad to be a Fresno State student. Why does it matter that they did well in HS? Why does it matter to YOU that they benefit because they WORKED HARD? Was that not the EXACT SAME opportunity available to you?

Sounds like you’re jealous…

BulldogerApr 10, 2008 at 7:14 am

Sounds like you’re jealous…

Marquis MatsonApr 8, 2008 at 4:52 pm

When was it a crime to be a Smittcamp Honors Scholar? It was my understanding that those scholars earned these scholarships by working very hard from the very beginning, before college, and before most other students even thought about hard work. And just because some highly responsible people have a scholarship, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t necessarily compassionate towards other human beings. They had the same exact opportunity as you, Hector, or anyone else to run for senate, and the hard workers that they are, they took that opportunity. And the irony is that they were voted into office by their peers. You might point out that only a fraction of the Fresno State population voted them into office, this is true, but that’s not EVP Trembley or VP of Finance Statham, or Senator Stillmakers fault, that is the fault of those who didn’t vote, if they are as unpopular as you claim. And if you have such a problem with what they are doing for the students, maybe you should run for office yourself. It’s a lot easier to complain than it is to actually do something.

Also, just because those representatives have their tuition paid for, it doesn’t mean that they don’t pay for everything else. I know that most of the senators, Smittcamp or not, have jobs, some of them holding two jobs. So they know what it’s like to be a young adult, that experience is not exclusive to you, Hector. These people are devoting a lot of their time voting on many things, all for the students. I know that I can say, as the Senator of Academics, I handed out $16k in funding toward student projects this year, and I’m not doing a single project myself so I don’t even need that money for projects….yet that’s my job, that’s why I took the position. What have you done Hector?

If you had something to say about the fee increase, then maybe you should have attended the meeting and said something about it. The senators are there to represent you, not read your mind. They hold their positions because someone, somewhere, felt that they could do their position better than anyone else, at least for that year. So they are. And Hector, if you are so smart about the senate, then you would notice that at every single meeting there is a time for public comment where people can come and voice their opinions on anything in the world. Of course, you must have been too busy to take advantage of that opportunity. And every meeting has an agenda posted online by Monday night, so there is absolutely no excuse for you to not be involved. Because nobody put their own efforts into cluing the senators in as to what the students really wanted, they voted on what they thought would be best. It may not be best for you, but it is best for all the athletes and all of those students who take advantage of one of our campuses many resources, the IRAs. So I suggest instead of complaining next time, maybe get your hands dirty a little bit and do some hard work yourself. Don’t blame a vote on somebody else’s personal achievements. Blame it on yourself and all the students who supposedly “care so much” yet don’t do a damn thing. I’m sure the senate would listen to you if you actually talked to them instead of doing cowardly blog.

Marquis MatsonApr 8, 2008 at 11:52 pm

• H

Hector CerdaApr 6, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Despite what students are being told by a recent ASI blackboard posting, ASI senator Russel Stillmaker, ASI Executive Vice President Stephen Trembley and VP of finance Russel Statham are all enrolled in the Smittcamp Honors College and their entire tuition and fees are paid for (http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2004/May/SmittcampSelects.html). They along with others need not worry about rising cost when they are on full ride scholarships.
    The current IRA fee increase endorsed by our current ASI does not represent students equally; it is biased and leans towards the ever growing athletic budget which is not related to the tools a student needs to receive the best education. It should be a 50/50 split not a 50/20.

• H

Hector CerdaApr 7, 2008 at 3:00 am