Who do I root for when my team can̢۪t win?

My favorite sports teams are garbage.

What do you do when the professional sports team you love is horrible? That̢۪s the question that literally millions of Americans probably ask themselves every year.

Well, maybe except people who like Boston-area sports teams right now.

I̢۪m asking myself that question right now. I̢۪m in a situation where my favorite two sports will produce winners that I am not a fan of.

I broke it down to myself earlier this week.

It wasn̢۪t pleasant.

I like the San Francisco Giants. I̢۪d wager a guess that says non-baseball fans can̢۪t name more than one player on the team. Barry Bonds doesn̢۪t count. Neither does his abnormally large head.

As I look right now, the Giants are in last place in the Cactus League. I know, spring training doesn̢۪t matter. But it bothers me that they gave up 23 runs in one game.

The season has not begun and already I̢۪m dreading it. And I love the Giants.

I̢۪m not a fair-weather fan either. I̢۪ll be there through the good times. I̢۪ll be there in the bad times. Which is now.

Luckily I also have football. Wait, no I don̢۪t. I like the other San Francisco pro team, the 49ers.

A quick breakdown depresses me. The 49ers were horrendous and didn̢۪t live up to their potential last year. At least they̢۪ll have a high draft pick. Nope. They traded it away. To the New England Patriots.

On a side note, Isaac Bruce was signed. Jerry Rice even gave Bruce permission to wear his iconic number 80. I think that̢۪s just to taunt me.

If, yes if, Bruce catches a touchdown all I will be able to think about is Rice.

I can only hang on to the 1980s and 1990s 49ers for so long.

So what do I do? I don̢۪t know. The virus is spreading.

The same situation is happening for Bulldog mens basketball right now. The Bulldogs went one-and-out in the conference tournament for the second consercutive year.

Take a quick gander to next year. Kevin Bell will be gone. Hector Hernandez will be gone. Eddie Miller will depart. Tyson Parker gave up his redshirt season because of injuries and will disappear .

Face it, the ‘Dogs are in for some rough times next year.

Fortunately, not all the ‘Dogs.

Which brings the solution. What should you do when the teams you love are bad or will be bad? You shouldn̢۪t find other teams in the same league.

You should find new sports, or the same sport at a different level. By no means am I saying watch the WNBA.

Maybe you̢۪re a huge Bulldog basketball fan. If that̢۪s the case, check out women̢۪s basketball. They won their first WAC league championship. They are in the semis at the WAC tournament.

I know that women̢۪s basketball is not as popular as men̢۪s.

There̢۪s also softball. Our softball team is good. Maybe really good.

On a side note I̢۪m honestly just hoping that a Bulldogs sports team wins a national championship because I̢۪m not sure I can handle hearing about the 30th anniversary of the 1983 men̢۪s basketball team NIT win or the 15th anniversary of the 1998 softball championship.

Bulldog baseball also has a chance this year. Sure the team might be off to a slow start, but the season is long. At least I̢۪ll have some team to root for while I groan as the Giants give up double-digit runs or when the 49ers sign a veteran that should have probably retired.

That̢۪s what you do. You have to find other sports or other leagues to follow.

If you like the NBA, watch March Madness. Selection Sunday is this weekend.

The men might be on vacation but the women might not be.

If baseball is more your style, check out Beiden Field and Bulldog baseball. Most games start at 6:05 p.m. so it is possible to get home and catch the last few innings of a Los Angeles Dodgers loss.

Or, you could just sit and bide your time until next football season. At least it̢۪s a men̢۪s team that can win. But hey, it̢۪s not like Fresno State has a women̢۪s football team.

Yet.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WagsMar 31, 2008 at 8:50 am

You’re right, the Giants are screwed. The only thing they might be in contention for come August is the worst record in baseball, after months of being slapped around by the Diamondbacks, Padres and Rockies.

Seriously, how long has it been since the NL West had more than one good team? It was just a few short years ago that the Padres won the division with a .500 record.

WagsMar 31, 2008 at 3:50 pm