Students urged to protest budget

CSU officials are mad as hell and aren̢۪t going to take it anymore. They want students to stop taking it, too.

In this case, “itâ€Â refers to the $386.1 million in proposed cuts to the California State University system.

These cuts could mean increasing class sizes, not hiring additional teachers and administrators, and turning away more than 10,000 future applicants who would otherwise have been admitted.

Fresno State itself would lose $24 million and have to admit 600 fewer students to compensate for the cuts.

Yesterday, a panel of 14 Fresno State staff members collectively urged students to get involved to fight the cuts.

Among them was Lisa Weston, the president of the California Faculty Association (CFA) and an English instuctor.

“I think we need to be well and truly pissed off,â€Â Weston said.

She asked attendees of the panel discussion, held in a packed Satellite Student Union, to get their voice out by writing letters to newspapers and legislators, and asked for volunteers to speak at future events.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger proposed the cuts to bring the budget under control.

However, a cut from the CSU system would have far-reaching consequences. A fact sheet prepared for the panel said the cut would end up costing the state over $1 billion dollars.

University President John D. Welty said during the discussion that cuts mostly hurt students who are the first in their families to go to school, or from lower-income households.

“We should not place roadblocks in their paths to achieve their dreams,â€Â Welty said.

He said that there are three million California workers that are going to retire within the next 10 years, especially in crucial areas such as nursing and teaching. In order to fill the coming labor gap, schools need to train those workers now.

The decrease in students attending college, whether because they could no longer afford it due to increasing student fees or were never admitted in the first place, would hurt California̢۪s future, Welty said.

“Now is not the time for investments in our future to be cut,â€Â he said.

Associated Students, Inc. President Juan Pablo Moncayo said that during the last round of budget cuts that happened between 2002 and 2005, he had two friends that had to stop attending Fresno State because they could not afford it anymore.

Again and again, the panel returned to calls for action.

“These proposed budget cuts are not a done deal,â€Â said Diane Blair, a communication instructor and CFA member. “Speak up for the CSU. Get everyone involved.â€Â

Students who missed the panel but want to get involved can go to www.allianceforthecsu.org to learn more.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Aaron MeyersMar 17, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Before we solely place the blame on the California legislature, maybe we should also take a look at Fresno State’s own budget. Are their appropriations valid? Are they taking the necessary steps in reducing their own spending or are they relying on students to pick up the slack created by the budget deficit. I don’t want to find out that Fresno State is spending more than a million dollars on a football coach that hasn’t gotten us million dollar seasons in the past few years, or even that the science department is budgeting $3,000 on paperclips. Before I make a decision, I want all the facts and I want to know that CSUF is doing its part.

Aaron MeyersMar 17, 2008 at 11:02 pm