Pick up a book!

KIDS THESE DAYS JUST DON̢۪T APPRECIATE a good book.

Whether it̢۪s from being burnt out on expensive upper division texts or longwinded seminars with obscure readings, about 42 percent of college graduates plan on never reading a book again, according to a Jenkins Group, Inc. study.

Now that̢۪s depressing, especially when the benefits of reading are all around us.

Reading experts — or “rexpertsâ€Â — have at least casually linked reading to a quite a few helpful traits. Students who read regularly have better writing, better reading comprehension and have a greater likelihood of winning a Nobel Prize.

Before every lengthy break from school, I go on a Madden Library binge where I̢۪ll check out every book I can find that even vaguely interests me. This was easier when we still had stacks to browse, but that̢۪s neither here nor there.

Winter’s theme was apocalyptic. Spring looks like it’s going to be Vonnegut, if only so I have an excuse to check out “Cat’s Cradleâ€Â again.

That our library̢۪s books are in a warehouse in the boonies of west Fresno hasn̢۪t stopped me from cradling stacks of books in my arms on my way back to the car.

“What are you doing with those books?â€Â

I craned my neck around to try and see who talked to me, but I couldn’t quite tell for the sake of the binding of “A Canticle for Leibowitzâ€Â and the way my Riddley Walker dustcover kept flying up in the wind.

“I’m going to read them,â€Â I responded. This was about half lie. I’d probably skip “Stand On Zanzibarâ€Â again, despite my best efforts at giving it a second chance. It’s unreadable.

Unaware that he would be later mentioned in the school paper three months after the fact, Walter Hoban went on.

“Man, the last thing I’m going to do this vacation is read. After finals, books are the last thing I want to see.â€Â

I felt as if I should calmly set my books down on the driest part of the pavement and deck him.

As much as Fresno State and other public universities have the reputation for being a diploma mill, this is still supposed to be a place of learning.

I would have thought that the average student walking on the sidewalk would have had some respect for books, or even just read for fun.

Maybe you can̢۪t manage it during the week, what with school at day and work at night; maybe taking time off during the weekend isn̢۪t attractive, either, what with all that studying you should be doing but you̢۪d rather not be reminded of.

Vacation, when it finally comes, is a time to rest without the company of books.

I̢۪m no rexpert, but it̢۪s healthier to consider reading as your vacation.

Want to curl up with the first six seasons of “Gilmore Girls?â€Â Instead, kick off the long weekend with the Bronte sisters and make your way to Jane Austen.

Seriously. Kirk is exactly like William Collins.

Want to re-watch a Tim Burton film starring Johnny Depp being weird and almost gothic?

Instead, try escaping to the dank dungeons and wine cellar of Edgar Allan Poe, and feel happy in that his life was much more depressing than yours.

As if schadenfreude weren̢۪t enough, why not make a game out of it?

Every time Aslan says or does something in the Narnia books that’s vaguely Christlike, take a shot — of grape juice. Spring break fun for all ages.

Even if you̢۪re re-reading the now-finished Harry Potter saga, at least you̢۪re reading. Even if you read trashy romance novels on the beach, at least you̢۪re reading. Even if you̢۪re reading a John Grisham thriller, at least your sixth-grade reading level appreciates adult content.

Why not pick up something more sophisticated? Be bold. It wouldn̢۪t hurt anything but your self-esteem to pick up some James Baldwin or James Joyce with your James Bond.

Not sold? There’s always the “not being stupid helps you in the workplaceâ€Â argument, though I doubt any rexpert seriously believes that readers should be in it for the money.

That said, many rexperts have loosely correlated better writing skills and better reading comprehension skills with snagging that first job in the coming recession.

As a bonus, those superior skills will help you rise through the ranks quite a bit quicker.

Especially if you have a Nobel Prize.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WhateverMar 13, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Anti-intellectual sentiments in this country go way back! When forming the constitution it took a lot of effort and a lot of messed-up state governments for the political philosophers to finally agree to give lots of power to some stuffy educated guys with wigs in a federal government because they knew better and could keep the states in line.

The people saw intellectualism (or any type of luxury) as a reflection of British tyranny. They even voted less educated people into their state governments for those reasons. It was a mess! And more corrupt than ever, probably.

Then all the smart guys start preaching about the tyranny of the masses and the oppression of the majority against the wealthy minority. Truth was that the governments were totally whack though.

WhateverMar 14, 2008 at 1:24 am

Benjamin BaxterMar 13, 2008 at 5:26 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

What has been gained is the culture of mediocrity, if you call that a gain.

What we usually forget is that America has been consistently anti-intellectual since just about ever. As recently as 1956, then-presidential-candidate Adlai Stevenson was downed by the claim that he was an egghead. As recently as 2000, George W. Bush made wide margins in some states because he was able to characterize Al Gore as an intellectual stiff.

Maybe the argument shouldn’t be that America should reclaim her intellectual heritage. Maybe the argument should be that America should claim an intellectual heritage.

Let’s start with reading. Little things, eh?

Benjamin BaxterMar 14, 2008 at 12:26 am

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

• G

gmMar 12, 2008 at 4:24 pm

Benjamin,

I couldn’t agree with you more about how depressing the loss of reading is for our society. That 42% of college graduates would proclaim, as if it was something to be proud of, that they will never read a book again, says a great deal about our culture and the coming generation. It is important to note that this is not a Fresno State phenomenon. While Whatever is quite correct about students and their assignments, this is happening on campuses across the country and increasingly so on those that we think of as more rigorous. (I know that is not setting the bar very high) The fact of the matter is that people have grown intellectually lazy. While reading improves knowledge, comprehension and language skills, perhaps the most important thing it develops is the ability to think. Even mass popular culture encountered in book form ( i.e. the trashy romance novel you mentioned) requires that the reader actively engage the material. Watching television or You Tube Videos demands nothing of the viewer. That has its place, but it has overwhelmingly replaced a tradition that expects and offers us so much more. To quote Susan Jacoby, “What has been lost is the culture of effort.”

• G

gmMar 12, 2008 at 11:24 pm

Benjamin,

WhateverMar 12, 2008 at 9:07 am

Most students don’t even read their class assignments, let alone for fun or enlightenment. I’m not one to care about what others do with their free time or look down at the non-readers of the world, but it sure would make class more productive for everyone, especially the instructor, if students made a point to care about learning something.

I haven’t been to too many other CSU and UC campuses, but I would bet Fresno State most resembles a community college in just about every aspect, including the amount of commuters, number of students with jobs and probably academic performance as well.

I like Fresno State and have had consistently great instructors, but the student body’s lack of interest, regardless of circumstances, really hurts this place as an academic institution.

WhateverMar 12, 2008 at 4:07 pm