Mechanical engineering tests out projects

Mousetraps, plastic cups, duck tape, marbles, wheels, books and dominos. These were the objects Fresno State̢۪s mechanical engineering 143 class used to build their own Rube Goldberg machines Thursday evening.

A Rube Goldberg machine is an over engineered apparatus that is built to perform a simple task in a very eccentric fashion.

Some simple task examples would be to fold a napkin, screw a lid on ajar or turn on a radio without human intervention.

The students let their marbles go – literally. Many of the students used marbles to push other objects in the apparatus so that it would succeed in its task.

Professor Raul Rai, Ph.D., a first year engineering professor, told his students that their machine must perform its task in 20 steps.

“The students had to draw from different mechanisms I have taught in class,â€Â he said. “It was pretty exciting.â€Â

Each machine had to complete a full cycle in no more than nine minutes, which includes, a first run to complete the task, a complete reset and a second run. Students scrambled after their first runs.

“It looks simple, but it’s a lot of hard work,â€Â Shawn Osier, a junior, said.

For a month Osier and his group worked on their machine.

“We kept it simple and it paid off in the end, “ he said.

Mauro Berdjo, a junior, and his group took four days to just build their apparatus.

“For our machine a switch forces a ball through these various contraptions, which forces water to be poured in this cup,â€Â he said.

Rai explained that this project was important for them to gain hands-on experience.

“I can tell my students really put a lot of work into it,â€Â he said.