I̢۪m voting for McCain

YOU DIDN̢۪T HEAR IT FROM ME.

Now, I heard — and believe me I only just heard it — that Barack Obama isn’t prepared to serve as president on day one.

Where did I hear it? I dunno. I don̢۪t think Clinton said it. Did she? I don̢۪t think so. I̢۪m just pretty sure I just heard it somewhere.

Don̢۪t worry, though. I̢۪ve also heard that Hillary does have that experience, and that she can take with confidence that 3 a.m. phone call on national security. Hillary has experience we can trust.

Obama hasn̢۪t really responded to that attack. I mean, he might̢۪ve, but only in the politician̢۪s way of avoiding the issue.

Hearing no other argument, it sounds like I̢۪m voting for Clinton. It̢۪s pretty cut and dry.

Except — I also heard that Hillary doesn’t quite have all that much experience. Don’t ask me where, but I just heard it.

She had eight years as First Lady, and she didn̢۪t really do much after her health care fiasco in the early ̢۪90s. She̢۪s not even halfway into her second term as a senator, while Obama has been a legislator at either the state or national level for more than a decade.

Hillary hasn̢۪t really responded to her having a lack of experience. She̢۪s mostly just dodged the issue.

She̢۪s also avoided how whether or not her eight years as first lady counts as executive experience, because then she̢۪d have to explain why she should be president all over again.

She̢۪d also have to get into how she may or may not be violating the spirit of the term limits even though she̢۪s within the letter.

She hasn̢۪t talked about that. Hearing no other argument, it sounds like I̢۪m voting for Obama. It̢۪s pretty cut and dry.

Except — I also heard that Obama went to a church for 20 years whose pastor is a little — dare I say it? — anti-American. Can we trust him?

I mean, I̢۪d rather Obama was Muslim than one of those crazy Christians. I heard that Muslim thing once, and I̢۪m glad it didn̢۪t turn out to be true.

I remember: He has talked about that crazy pastor. In fact, he talked about it and broader racial issues for more̢۪n half an hour. He talked very prettily. In all that, I do remember something about him recently condemning his pastor̢۪s statements.

Huh. But why, Senator, did you go to that church for 20 years? Why didn’t you condemn your pastor’s statements — and others like them — before being called out? Looks pretty slippery. Looks like something one of those Washington fat cats you rally against would do.

Looks like I̢۪m voting for Clinton. It̢۪s pretty cut and dry.

Except — wasn’t she involved in the Whitewater scandal thing? I’m too young to remember it or anything — I only just heard it — but wasn’t it, like, some major real estate crookery? She and that husband of hers were caught up in that for some time.

Looks like I̢۪m voting for Obama. It̢۪s pretty cut and dry.

Except — wasn’t he involved in some Rekzo scandal thing? I haven’t heard too much about it, but it was something about some real estate crookery. He and that wife of his are caught up in that right now.

After all, Geraldine Ferraro backs Hillary. She̢۪s that female 1984 vice presidential candidate famous for saying that if her name was Gerald Ferraro she wouldn̢۪t have gotten the nomination.

Except — didn’t Ferraro say something about how Obama was this close to the nomination only because he was black? And didn’t she resign from the campaign or something because of it?

I guess I shouldn̢۪t vote for Clinton.

At least Obama̢۪s campiagn is built on some sort of pretense about hope and a change in politics as usual.

He won’t betray that, and he’ll make sure that his campaign aides stay on message. Except — didn’t one of his aides liken Hillary to a monster? Didn’t that aide resign because of it? I mean, that’s pretty serious.

Sure, that aide has a point, but doesn̢۪t such a comment, in whatever context, undermine the whole campaign built on positive politicking? Obviously, I can̢۪t vote for Obama.

This back-and-forth contest is giving me a real headache. You two: seriously. I really don’t care anymore. Covertly spreading rumors about each other — some true, some half-true, some “Obama is a Muslimâ€Â — is no way to capture my imagination to and through the polling booth.

Looks like I̢۪m voting for John McCain.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Benjamin BaxterMar 27, 2008 at 3:53 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

That was exactly my intent. Glad I could be of service.

Oh, Democrats. Your tactics tear each other apart.

Benjamin BaxterMar 27, 2008 at 10:53 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

• F

FamousMar 27, 2008 at 9:45 am

This made me laugh! It also sort of made me think, though not too hard. So, if that was your objective, good job!

• F

FamousMar 27, 2008 at 4:45 pm