Fresno State to pay legal fees

Fresno State is going to have to pay an additional $2.5 million in the Stacy Johnson-Klein case, a judge ruled Monday.

The money pays for Johnson-Klein̢۪s attorney fees, and comes on top of the $6.6 million awarded to Johnson-Klein in February. The attorneys had requested $2.9 million, but the judge reduced that amount.

Susan Westover, part of the university’s legal counsel, said in a statement that, “We are pleased that there was some reduction in the numbers, but would have preferred that the amount be reduced even further.â€Â

Fresno State accepted the judge̢۪s ruling in court, but said in a statement issued Tuesday that acceptance does not mean it agrees to pay the money. The university says that it will still preserve the right to appeal the additional award.

Fresno State also continues to appeal the $6.6 million, asking that it be reduced to $2.9 million. Unless Fresno State can successfully appeal the attorney fees, it will have to pay them no matter what the final award becomes.

Johnson-Klein was originally awarded $19.1 million in December, after filing a lawsuit against Fresno State in 2005 for gender discrimination and sexual harassment.

Fresno State said they fired her for several violations, including taking pain killers from a player.