Bulldogs can̢۪t suppress late rally

Senior point guard Kevin Bell drives to the basket against New Mexico State̢۪s Jonathan Gibson during saturday night̢۪s conference game against the Aggies at the Save Mart Center.
Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

A 15-point lead wasn̢۪t enough for the Fresno State men̢۪s basketball team as New Mexico State came from behind to beat the Bulldogs 69-64.

Fresno State held the lead for most of the game, but gave up the lead for good with only 1:03 remaining in the game.

Bulldog guards Eddie Miller and Kevin Bell led the team with 21 and 23 points, respectively.

Bell had a chance to win the game in the final seconds, but was unable to convert. He did not get the foul as he drove to the hoop with 18 seconds left, eventually turning the ball over and fouling New Mexico State to give the ‘Dogs one more chance.

Bell had previously turned his ankle when he went to the hoop and landed on an Aggie defender̢۪s foot with about 1:30 left to play.

On the final attempt by Fresno State, Miller had a chance to tie the game with seven seconds left, but was blocked by New Mexico State̢۪s Fred Peete.

Coach Steve Cleveland could not believe that officials did not call the fouls on Bell and Miller.

â€ÂEddie got slapped on his three and there was a lot of contact on Kevin’s drive,â€Â Cleveland said.

Cleveland said that his coaching staff had a good view on Miller̢۪s three-point attempt that would have tied the game. Miller also said that Peete fouled him.

“I guess the ref didn’t see it, but he smacked my hand,â€Â Miller said. “In times like those you got to take the slap and still make the shot.â€Â

Bell and Miller did not get very much help from their supporting cast.

“It’s hard when you have two guys night in and night out that have to carry the offense. They only need a little bit of help,â€Â Cleveland said.

Nedeljko Golubovic had the third-highest point total for the ‘Dogs, with seven. Golubovic left the floor briefly in the first half after tweaking his ankle on offense.

Golubovic returned, but was ejected in the second half after a flagrant foul. Both teams played a physical game with few fouls.

“There was a lot of punching and unfortunately they got Ned at a bad time,â€Â Miller said.

Hector Hernandez has only scored two points in the past two games for Fresno State.

The ‘Dogs had 19 turnovers, including nine in the second half. New Mexico State had 13 turnovers, with only two in the second half. The Aggies scored 15 points off turnovers in the second half.

Justin Hawkins and Peete both led New Mexico State with 14 points each.

Cleveland acknowledged that it was a defensive-minded game. The Bulldogs did well on the boards, outrebounding the Aggies 35-30 but had trouble at the free throw line, shooting 3 of 7.

The loss was difficult for Bell, who had to ice his ankle after the game. Bell then had to hobble home to catch a few hours rest before waking up for a red-eye flight to Utah for the ‘Dogs game against Utah State tonight.

“I feel this is preparing us to turn the corner,â€Â Bell said. “The bumps that we’ve been having lately are only going to get us ready for the tournament.â€Â

The ‘Dogs have two games left before the Western Athletic Conference Tournament in Las Cruces, NM.

“Right now it’s probably the last thing on our minds,â€Â Cleveland said. “We’re just trying to win ballgames.â€Â

Cutting the game in half
The Aggies stepped up their game in the second half compared the Bulldogs:

̢ۢ Fresno State shot 42.9 percent from the floor in the second half compared to the Aggies, who shot 53.3 percent in the second half.

̢ۢ The Bulldogs only scored four points in the paint in the second half, compared to the Aggies, who scored 20.

̢ۢ The Aggies scored 15 points off of turnovers, while the Bulldogs only scored two points.

Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper. Be sure to pick up next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.