Bulldog Beat brings the noise to Albuquerque

The Bulldog Beat listened silently, some of the members bobbing their heads to the Baylor band̢۪s pep song. The tune ended and the Bulldog Beat members gave a quick smirk as they raised their instruments.

Then they fired right back at Baylor.

Tim Anderson flung his arms wildly, crazily conducting the Bulldog Beat Saturday afternoon at the Fresno State women̢۪s basketball team̢۪s first NCAA appearance in school history.

The atmosphere in Albuquerque, N.M. at The Pit on Saturday, even though the ‘Dogs lost to Baylor, 88-67.

The Pit was full of red — but not for Fresno State.

The University of New Mexico — not be confused with Fresno State Western Athletic Conference (WAC) rival New Mexico State — also has red colors.

The NCAA took over every aspect of the game, even going so far to bring NCAA “sweat brooms.â€Â No cups without the NCAA logo were allowed courtside.

“If we could get all the people in New Mexico red to root for Fresno State, it’d be great,â€Â Anderson said.

They must have heard Anderson.

The New Mexico fans quickly adopted the Bulldogs, perhaps looking for an upset or remembering when New Mexico used to be in the WAC.

The Bulldog Beat members kept the optimism. Freshmen Nick Barker and Scott Seagle said that they thought both teams had an equal amount of fans.

“They’re just all together so you notice them,â€Â Seagle said about the yellow-clad Baylor fans.

Barker, a music major, said he plays at women̢۪s games all the time.

“It’s more people than we’ve ever had at one of our women’s games,â€Â Barker said.

Anderson was more objective.

“There are more Baylor fans, but that’s to be expected. Waco, Texas is a lot closer to Albuquerque,â€Â he said. “It’s a historic day for the university. First time ever making the NCAA for the women. It’s been 43 years.â€Â

Fresno State was dwarfed by Baylor on the cheerleader front. Baylor brought eight women and four men. Fresno State had only two women.

Timeout spent most of his time sitting down with the cheerleaders, searching for something to do without the Redzone fans to high-five every four minutes.

He did jump up when it was it was his turn to be the third-wheel with the cheerleaders on the court.

The Pit only rises about 25 feet from the mesa that it sits on, with most of the arena underground.

Bleacher seats surround the court on every side but one. From the outside, the facility looks old and mildly unimpressive.

A central video screen does not grace the ceiling above mid-court. Only Lobo fans know not to look up to check the time remaining in the game or how many fouls each player on the court has.

Tierre Wilson looked up to check the time remaining in the game at least three times before she realized that The Pit was no Save Mart Center.

The NCAA treatment was not lost on fans, the band or Wiggins.

Anderson said that the NCAA was extremely helpful in coordinating band courtside seats.

“They’ve been really helpful to us and it’s been a great experience for us,â€Â Anderson said.

Wiggins was all smiles about the tournament, even after the game. He was most impressed by the organization.

“It’s a class-run tournament,â€Â Wiggins said. “Everyone’s doing their job and they’re doing it well.â€Â

Seagle had never been to a Fresno State women̢۪s basketball game, much less a women̢۪s NCAA tournament game. Seagle and the rest of the Bulldog Beat wore jerseys with the number six on the front and back.

The goal was to be the sixth man, as it is at every game.

The band even gained a seventh.

Pittsburgh̢۪s band set up next to Fresno State̢۪s, creating an odd coalition of Bulldog red and Pittsburgh stripes of navy and yellow.

Not long thereafter, combined distractions began for Fresno State and Pittsburgh when Baylor was at the free-throw line.

Still, with all the fanfare of an NCAA tournament and a top 10 ranking by USA Today as one of the top places to watch basketball, Seagle still wasn̢۪t convinced.

“It’s not better than home, Seagle said. “You can’t beat home.â€Â