Baylor downs Dogs

The Fresno State women̢۪s basketball team was unable to recover from early jitters Saturday afternoon in the NCAA tournament against No. 3 seeded Baylor, losing 88-67.

It was the first-ever NCAA tournament appearance for the Bulldogs. Fresno State was coming off the first Western Athletic Conference (WAC) championship and WAC tournament championship in Fresno State women̢۪s basketball history.

Senior guard Tierre Wilson led the ‘Dogs with 23 points in her final game for No. 14-seeded Fresno State. The game was physical, especially for Wilson.

“Playing in this tourney, you expect to get bumped, scratched,â€Â Wilson said. “Coach told us that they’re not going to call everything.â€Â

Baylor out-rebounded the ‘Dogs 49-40, which helped Baylor score 29 second-chance points.

Baylor also had a huge afternoon from freshman Melissa Jones, who provided 14 points and a team-high 14 rebounds. Coach Adrian Wiggins said Jones pestered the Bulldogs with her rebounds.

“I think that was a product of being in the right spot and a product of good coaching and good listening,â€Â Wiggins said.

Wiggins was very impressed by Baylor̢۪s coaching staff and work ethic.

Baylor went on a 17-2 run midway through the first half that solidified the Bears’ lead for the rest of the game. Wiggins said that turnovers hurt the ‘Dogs during that run.

Wiggins also noted that the Bulldogs had “mini-spurts of their ownâ€Â for moments in the second half.

Wiggins knew that the Baylor team would provide a tough match up for Fresno State.

“I was hoping they weren’t that tough,â€Â Wiggins said. “So are we, but we’re not quite there yet.â€Â

Senior Angela Tisdale led the Bears with 26 points.

For the Bulldogs, freshman guard Emma Andrews had 15 points, second only to Wilson. Wilson provided a Sportscenter-esque highlight in the second half when she received an alley-oop pass under the basket, twisting her shoulders backwards for the lay up.

Fresno State was additionally dogged by their lack of three-point effectiveness, shooting only 3-17 from beyond the arc. Jaleesa Ross, who led the WAC in three-point shooting, was 1-8 on three-pointers.

Wiggins said that Baylor was a well-coached team that took away the Bulldogs̢۪ three-point prowess.

“They did a great job of staying out on the perimeter and denying us,â€Â Wiggins said. “We had to attack the rim instead. We did that and we weren’t bad at that, to be honest.â€Â

Andrews was persistent in driving the basketball past the bigger Bears.

“I guess because I’m a freshman, I don’t really understand,â€Â Andrews said. “I don’t think about [the fact that] they’re that much taller than me or they’re that much bigger or stronger than me.â€Â

Bulldog guards Andrews and Wilson were easily able to penetrate into the paint, but were powerless to find uncontested shots against the taller Baylor team.

The hype and intensity of the NCAA tournament affected the play of Andrews early in the game, which led to errant passes and wild dribbling. Andrews eventually calmed down.

“I always get nervous before a game but it’s the good nervous,â€Â Andrews said. “It gives you that energy to get out there and play.â€Â

Wiggins was nostalgic, but optimistic about Fresno State̢۪s performance.

“We have room to grow,â€Â Wiggins said. “Baylor helped with our vision for that.â€Â

Wiggins said he knows what the staff needs to work on to take the ‘Dogs to the next level.

Baylor coach Kim Mulkey had positive things to say about Fresno State̢۪s performance.

“As they walked off the court, I told them, ‘you’ve had a great year,’â€Â Mulkey said. “Today we were the better team. It’s a one-game season.â€Â

Wiggins was proud of his team̢۪s accomplishments this season.

He also knows what he̢۪s going to do when he returns home.

“We’ve got several banners to hang up in our arena,â€Â Wiggins said.