A sit down with Saturday’s ‘hero’

Hayley Munro is one of the three starting freshmen for the Fresno State women’s basketball team. The 6’1â€Â forward from Montmorency, Victoria, Aus., is an all-around ball player.

Munro was nothing short of heroic on Saturday. The ‘Dogs were down two points with just one second remaining in overtime.

The ball ended up in Munro̢۪s hands and she nailed a 75-foot shot to win the game.

For her efforts, Munro was named the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) player of the week, and even took the eight spot in ESPN̢۪s top ten plays on Monday.

Jon: Let̢۪s take it back to Saturday, how did that last play develop?

Hayley: We had a couple of timeouts remaining so we had a bit of time to talk about it before it actually happened.

With one second remaining on the clock, coach wrote down the play on the board, and we just executed it. Bailey passed the perfect pass to me just over the opponent̢۪s hand, and dropped where I needed it; I shot it and hoped and prayed it went in and it fell.

Jon: What was the celebration like after?

Hayley: I can̢۪t remember much, I remember just getting hit in the head.

I saw the whole team come running over, but it was just a fabulous moment.

Jon: What did coach say just before the shot? What was he telling you guys?

Hayley: He just had belief in us. He knew we had practiced it at training before.

He knew that we could do it. He just wrote down the play and all the team had a feeling.

I think everyone knew that we should have won the game and we played well during it.

Jon: You had a career night Saturday, and received WAC player of the week. What kind of honor is that for you?

Hayley: It was a great honor, but I give credit to the team, it̢۪s a team game.

They obviously got me the ball to be able to score that many points. It̢۪s just a great feeling.

Jon: You̢۪ve been doing everything on the court this year. You̢۪ve been rebounding,

I̢۪ve seen you put down some crossovers, and went three for four from beyond the arc last game: You talked about wanting to work on your fitness, how is that going for you?

Hayley: I̢۪ve been working on it, definitely with the training sessions we get going up and down the court.

I̢۪m just looking forward to the postseason, getting ready for next season as well.

I̢۪ll be working hard on my fitness during that time.

Jon: What team will be the biggest competition in the WAC tournament?

Hayley: We are definitely are worried about Boise State.

Not worried, but that̢۪s probably our best competition. We̢۪ve beaten them; they̢۪ve beaten us, so we know it̢۪s going to be a tough game if it comes up to it.

Jon: What are your expectations going into the WAC tournament?

Hayley: Our season goal is to win the WAC. We̢۪ll see how that goes.

Jon: Going into this game with New Mexico State, what do you think this team has to focus on?

Hayley: We watched a bit of game tape. We just got to box out and keep them off the boards.

One girl got 16 boards and we don̢۪t really want her coming in on Thursday doing that again. Just be physical.

Jon: What do you think the home team advantage will provide?

Hayley: We love the crowd, they get us going and pumping. It̢۪s senior night, so with Tierre [Wilson] and Erica [Henry] it̢۪s going to be a special night.

We want to play hard for them.

Comments may be used in the print edition of the newspaper. Be sure to pick up next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.