Youth voters turn out for primary

By Jimmy Graben and Heather Billings

Evan Vucci / Associated Press

Those who thought that the vote of America̢۪s youth did not matter were proven wrong on Super Tuesday. According to MTV.com, voter turnout in 2008 has already tripled from 2004 statistics.

Assistant professor of political science Dr. Thomas Holyoke said this sudden increase in voter turnout could be attributed to the growing concern of America̢۪s youth for the nation̢۪s economy.

“Young voters feel they must contribute to achieve change in U.S. politics,â€Â Holyoke said. “Gas prices, the availability of jobs, these are all important issues.â€Â

Holyoke said that Democratic candidate Barack Obama has a leading voice that attracts young voters.

However, MTV.com reported that 51 percent of Californians between the ages of 18 and 29 voted for Hillary Clinton in the primary.

Obama and Clinton are the two leading candidates for the Democratic nomination. Clinton won the all-ages majority of delegates in California.

“The Democratic nomination is up in the air if it stays this way,â€Â political science lecturer Rodney Anderson said. “This will be an exciting and important election.â€Â

Both candidates would be historical additions to the White House. Clinton would be the first female president, while Obama would be the first African-American president.

Sophomore Chris Calvin is African-American and voted for Obama, but he does not feel race was the deciding factor for his vote.

“His theories seem realistic,â€Â Calvin said. “I don’t think America is affected by race, either. It’s time for a change. If it doesn’t start now, we won’t see another minority in office for another 20 years.â€Â

Sophomore Amanda Mackwood voted for Clinton, but feels that being a woman does not mean she has to vote for a female candidate.

“I like [Clinton] because she seems organized and strong,â€Â Mackwood said. “It is about someone’s beliefs towards society. We need to look past sex.â€Â

On the Republican side, Arizona Senator John McCain won a majority of California̢۪s delegates with 42 percent of the vote, beating Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, with 34.1 percent, and Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, with 11.6 percent.

Locally, Republicans in Fresno County supported Romney with 36.7 percent of the vote, according to the Office of the Secretary of State̢۪s Web site.

Romney edged out McCain, who had 35.7 percent in Fresno County, to win his only county in California.

Romney suspended his campaign Thursday morning.

Assistant professor of political science Dr. Janet Slagter believes that Romney̢۪s suspended campaign cements McCain̢۪s position as the leading Republican candidate.

“I think it’s all but decided now,â€Â Slagter said. “It might lead to McCain getting all the funding now.â€Â

Kurt Cline, a professor of political science, believes that McCain could pull away swiftly from the rest of the pack.

“McCain is a moderate Republican who has a wider appeal because he has picked up not only moderate Republicans, but Independent voters as well,â€Â Cline said.

The Collegian staff writers Jonathan Luevanos, CJ Manriquez, Sandra Sedano, and Whitney Vasquez contributed to this report.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Cindy ShehanFeb 8, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Cold hard facts. I love reading news stories that quote MTV.com

GO DogS

Cindy ShehanFeb 8, 2008 at 10:28 pm

GO DogS