Myths busted on campus

By Heather Halsey and Kelly Lucus

The hosts of the Discovery Channel’s popular “Mythbustersâ€Â show, Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman, said that they hoped to provide their sold-out audience food for thought last night when they spoke on campus as part of the University Lecture Series.

“We are just a couple of characters and we have an unusual job that people seem to be interested in,â€Â Hyneman said. “People always want to know how we really are and this is a chance for them to get a behind the scenes look at us.â€Â

The quirky hosts were just arriving from San Francisco as dozens of people lined up, hours before the doors opened to see the duo speak about their love of science and special effects.

First in line was 6-year-old Joaquin Jamieson who held a sign that read, “Does a fly vomit 17 times when it lands?â€Â as he waited in hopes of getting his myth busted.

His mom, Trisha Jamieson said that she purchased tickets as soon as they went on sale because she wanted to ensure her son got to see his two favorite TV personalities.

“I want to be a mythbuster when I grow up because they get to do cool things,â€Â Joaquin said.

Savage, who began building his own toys at age 5, said that it was “awesomeâ€Â they were able to speak in Fresno and to a sold-out audience of all ages.

“We will start to get worried when our shows don’t sell out,â€Â Savage said.

Hyneman, who wore his signature beret, said he loves what he does and is glad that audiences can enjoy it, too.

“We are curious about the world at large and people of all ages are interested, too,â€Â Hyneman said. “The fact that we bring a lot of fun to it seems to be key.â€Â

“Mythbustersâ€Â has run for five years and its 100th episode will air tomorrow night. In between tapings both hosts pursue interests outside of the studio.

Hyneman manages M5 Industries, Inc., which produces models and special effects for hundreds of top U.S. production companies̢۪ commercials and movies. He also holds several patents and has won numerous industry awards.

Savage has played a role in the movie industry also, but spends most of his time teaching. He is a teacher of advanced model making at the San Francisco Academy of Art.

An avid fan of the show, Chris Goss looked forward to catching “Mythbustersâ€Â marathons and said that he was excited to hear what both hosts had to say.

“I don’t think one would be good without the other,â€Â Goss said.

Goss managed to get tickets thanks to Jenea Cox, who works at the Information Center and purchased the first two tickets.

The Satellite Student Union is designed to accommodate 800 people and last night̢۪s lecture sold out a month in advance, said Cox.

Fans like Ismari Altamirano weren̢۪t so lucky. She came to the Satellite Student Union in hopes of purchasing tickets last night, but was disappointed to find they were sold out.

“I didn’t know that you could pre-buy tickets,â€Â Altamirano said. “I looked online and it said that tickets were on sale tonight at 7.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• H

Heather BillingsFeb 13, 2008 at 7:26 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

Just to add to what Joanne said, we would only have been allowed in for the first two to five minutes. That’s not really enough to allow for any multimedia.

• H

Heather BillingsFeb 14, 2008 at 2:26 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

Joanne Lui, News EditorFeb 13, 2008 at 6:57 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment

No, unfortunately. We had no media inside the event.

Joanne Lui, News EditorFeb 14, 2008 at 1:57 am

The Collegian Staff Comment

ScoutFeb 13, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Will there be pictures or anything media related?

ScoutFeb 13, 2008 at 11:31 pm

BryanFeb 13, 2008 at 1:15 am

No video? Aww…

BryanFeb 13, 2008 at 8:15 am

No video? Aww…