Johnson-Klein accepts $6.6 million award

Stacy Johnson-Klein will accept the reduced $6.6 million award in the judgment that was handed down by Fresno County Superior Court Judge Donald S. Black on Friday. Black had given Johnson-Klein until Feb. 22 to accept the award or face a new trial.

The original award had been $19.1 million in the former Fresno State women̢۪s basketball coach̢۪s gender-discrimination lawsuit against Fresno State.

Claudia Keith, a California State University spokesperson, said previously that there are other appeals that Fresno State can file despite Johnson-Klein̢۪s acceptance of the award. Fresno State has not yet announced what action it plans to take next.

Dawn Theodora of the university counsel said that Fresno State hopes to resolve the matter as quickly and as fairly as possible.

“We’re very pleased that Ms. Johnson-Klein moved so quickly to accept the judge’s ruling reducing the verdict,â€Â Theodora said. “Our main goal is we all want to move forward towards a fair resolution of the case … As we move along here and determine what the best course is, we’ll announce that as soon as we can.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

MikeFeb 17, 2008 at 2:01 pm

I wonder if any of this was rooted in binding to sensationalism – one couldn’t measure the punitive damages incurred during a period of indignation. In which case, 19m would have been just compensation. However, an attorney’s drive is brought by economics, which is core to this country, evident in the Constitution of United States when it provides the right to prosperty (perhaps it ought to be redefined), something an attorney ought to uphold. It is a bit of double edge sword – I am glad I am not a medical doctor for presenting such a thing. What ever sensations that arose were a result of an obsessive oath that stays with those that take one. At the moment the law was broken in this matter, it was probably worth no more than two squirts. These types of civil cases bring a great deal of shame for both sides, and in the process, standing can be given to the blamed; in which case the compensation ought to be $0. An interesting off-set only found in the inadequecies of our legal system. What to do? It is empowering nevertheless.

MikeFeb 17, 2008 at 9:01 pm

CindyFeb 15, 2008 at 11:56 am

If she was discriminated against, then yes,she deserves a settlement. BUT….the 19 million award from a biased 11- emotional- women- and- 1- man jury(talk about blatant,biased jury selection!!!)wasoutrageous. Even 6 million is way too much. I think her award should have been what she would have earned in a lifetime had she not been fired, plus a little more maybe. And that probably would 1-2 million at best. Congratulations,Stacy on winning the lottery funded by students!

CindyFeb 15, 2008 at 6:56 pm

WhateverFeb 14, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Of course she doesn’t deserve $6 million. Does ANYONE deserve that much, for anything? And of course the ones who do never see that kind of cash.

WhateverFeb 14, 2008 at 7:20 pm

johnFeb 14, 2008 at 11:16 am

that is still a lot of money. The university should have settled it at 1 million. They’re stupid. I dont think she deserves 6 million. All the other cases were more legitimate and they only got 3 – 4 mill.

johnFeb 14, 2008 at 6:16 pm

ScoutFeb 13, 2008 at 4:23 pm

DAMN

ScoutFeb 13, 2008 at 11:23 pm

DAMN