From Fresno State’s Theatre to the Kodak Theatre

'The problem is there is a plethora of Brads in this busniess,' Brad Lewis (left) joked about sharing his name with other Brads in the business, such as 'Ratatouille' director Brad Bird (right).
Jennifer Graylock / Associated Press

Having a common name in the film industry can be a problem at times.

For Fresno State alumnus Brad Lewis this problem most often comes to light when the media at large are interviewing him and credit him with work he’s never done.

“The problem is there is a plethora of Brads in this business, you got me, Brad Bird and Brad Garrett, and they always seem to lump us together and mix up what projects we work on,” Lewis said. “But what’s interesting is they never seem to confuse us with Brad Pitt.”

Lewis is garnering media attention because the film he produced, Disney and Pixar’s “Ratatouille,” which earned five Oscar nominations and won Best Animated Feature.

The national acclaim for “Ratatouille” has surprised Lewis, who never envisioned this result while working on this film for over five years. The film previously won a Golden Globe, a Grammy and several Critics’ Choice awards, including 10 Annie awards.

“When the Oscar nominations were announced, I was on top of the world, it just feels really great when it happens,” Lewis said.

“Ratatouille” may have made Lewis a household name, but he also has quite the reputation amongst Fresno State’s theatre department from which he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1980.

Former Theatre Department Chair Kathleen McKinley was a student with Lewis back when he attended the university. McKinley said the story of Lewis’ impersonation of Edward EmanuEL is legend.

“I don’t remember all the details, but it was during some sort of roast the students put on and when Brad mimicked Edward, it was priceless,” McKinley said.

EmanuEL, theatre arts instructor, recalls the scenario fondly and said when the name Brad Lewis comes up anywhere, immediately that impersonation comes to mind.

EmanuEL said the situation came about when it was announced in 1980 that Fresno State was able to attend the Edinburgh International Festival, which presents a rich program of classical music, theatre, opera and dance annually. Lewis and his fellow students were so excited; they had a celebration and put on a performance for their instructors.

He said Lewis and a few other students performed a Star Trek skit. Lewis was Captain Kirk, but came out as EmanuEL. Lewis styled his hair like EmanuEL’s, wore a belt around his shirt like he did, and performed famous Star Trek lines in EmanuEL’s voice and mannerisms.

“It was essentially classic, a great mockery but without malice,” EmanuEL said. “What people might not know is Lewis very talented at mimicry and is just a fun, fun guy.”

Lewis said that EmanuEL was the perfect candidate for impersonation.

“He has this great personality and was really easy to lampoon and impersonate,” Lewis said.

Lewis said along with the great memories of Fresno State, he met and made several role models. He said his degree from Fresno State has come in handy, because aside from producing and animation, he still does a bit of acting.

“When Remy (from “Ratatouille”) is running through the rafters and overhears that couple arguing, I was the voice of the boyfriend,” Lewis said.

Lewis said he often reads opposite the actors in movies when they record their lines, and that throughout his career he has dabbled in almost all aspects of the business. He actually starred in several Broadway productions including “Sesame Street Live” and worked at “The Merv Griffin Show,” until he got swept up in the digital animation boom in the early 1990s.

“I jumped on that opportunity and got hired at Pacific Data Imaging and the rest is history,” Lewis said.

Currently Lewis is preparing to direct the next Disney and Pixar film project and balances his time between his duties to his family, as a film maker and as mayor of San Carlos, Calif.

He said it was a long road to achieve what he has achieved, but his advice for anyone dreaming of a career in film is to be willing to make sacrifices and work through the hard times.

“To succeed in this business you have to be willing to work harder than everyone else for as little money possible for as long as you can,” Lewis said,. “Success doesn’t happen overnight, it took me almost 25 years.”