Fresno State hosts Red Wave Classic Livestock Show

The 15th annual Red Wave Classic Junior Livestock Show was held at the Livestock Pavilion at the Fresno Fairgrounds from Feb. 8-10.

The show, presented by the Department of Animal Sciences and Agriculture Education at Fresno State, gives students the opportunity to run a livestock show. The shows are also used as a recruiting activity for the department said Randy Perry, an animal science professor.

“And guests will get the opportunity to see some of the best livestock in the western United States, shown by some of the best livestock youth exhibitors in the entire country,â€Â Perry said.

Those who participate are enrolled in Animal Science 182, Livestock Marketing and Show Management. Farmers Feed also sponsored the show.

Children and adolescents showed cattle, sheep, swine and a new animal – goats. The winners of each division get awards and even cash.

Laura Barnes, a Fresno State student, ran the goat show. The cattle showmanship starts first and the show culminated with the hog competition. The entire event went really well and there were no complications, Barnes said.

“This event is an opportunity to give back to the community and give students a good experience in putting on a show,â€Â Barnes said.

Students in will continue to participate in the event next year.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• P

Paige SimonsFeb 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Hello this is Paige Simons I was wondering when you will start selling lambs for the fresno fair in october?