Editorial: Election 2008

As we move toward Super Tuesday, both the Democratic and Republican fields of candidates have narrowed down to two frontrunners apiece. Here is The Collegian̢۪s assessment of these candidates and our recommendations for voting this Tuesday.

Cartoon by Patrick Tran

Hillary Clinton
Pros: Regardless of her opponents̢۪ criticisms, Clinton does have more experience, both with respect to the Oval Office and in the area of policymaking. She has also faced greater scrutiny than any of the other candidates.
Cons: Clinton would prove an extraordinarily divisive candidate for the Democrats in the general election, and her tenure in the White House would contribute to what critics see as a two-family hegemony.

Cartoon by Patrick Tran

Barack Obama
Pros: Obama̢۪s appeal to bipartisanship is a big draw for a number of voters, including some of us at The Collegian. Some have criticized Obama for being too ambitious, but we believe that̢۪s far better than aiming too low.
Cons: It’s true — Obama’s experience in Washington is dwarfed by Clinton’s. And while we love his speeches, lofty words don’t necessarily translate to action.

THE COLLEGIAN RECOMMENDS: BARACK OBAMA

Cartoon by Patrick Tran

John McCain
Pros: Besides the fact that McCain has more experience in Washington than any other serious candidate in either party, his “straight-talk expressâ€Â has always proven popular with more independent-minded voters.
Cons: At 71, McCain is the oldest major candidate, and old enough that health could prove an issue. He̢۪s traditionally stood apart from the Republican base, and may have trouble holding on to their support.

Cartoon by Patrick Tran

Mitt Romney
Pros: His supporters believe that his business acumen saved the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. In a primary season where many voters believe the nation̢۪s failing economy is issue No. 1, Romney might resonate.
Cons: Romney̢۪s campaign has been consistently negative, but the most troubling part is his shifting, opportunistic stances on core GOP social issues, particularly abortion.

THE COLLEGIAN RECOMMENDS: JOHN MCCAIN

$100
$500

$100
$500

• H

Harry MansaakFeb 2, 2008 at 9:44 pm

AND: you make McCain look like Santa Claus and Barack look like a young Bill Cosby

• H

Harry MansaakFeb 3, 2008 at 4:44 am

• H

Harry MansaakFeb 1, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Between the four, none are different: The Republicrats will rule this country once more. Lets at least not keep the monarchical presidency of Bush and Clinton in power. Fresh blooD needs to be introduced and Hillary is reason enough to vote for a “different candidate.” this year

• H

Harry MansaakFeb 1, 2008 at 10:56 pm

WhateverFeb 1, 2008 at 3:12 pm

And just so we all know that Romney is really all about business, check out the private equity firm he founded. This is big-time money stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bain_Capital

WhateverFeb 1, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Benjamin BaxterFeb 1, 2008 at 1:00 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Between the Republicans, the two aren’t different.

Between the Democrats, the two aren’t different.

We didn’t have a lot of space in the paper, so we emphasized the differences between them. In a primary where each party’s remaining viable candidates have essentially the same policies, character counts as well as minor issues.

Benjamin BaxterFeb 1, 2008 at 8:00 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

• G

gmFeb 1, 2008 at 9:58 am

It is important to note that Hillary is not simply a divisive candidate because people on the right hate her. There is a sleaziness surrounding Hill & Bill that many of us on the left are tired of. Do we really want to replace one power hungry, pocket lining, secretive and shady administration with another one just because it might be from the right party? Don’t think the characterization is fair? Just look at what the 2 have done with race in the past month (not the first time) and a real eye opener (for some) would be the story that the New York Times broke about Bill yesterday. Turns out Bill and a billionaire buddy from Canada end up in Kazakhistan where Bill supports the virtual dictator there in his bid for Kazak control of a voting and human rights organization. Bill’s buddy then gets from the despot a massive uranium mining contract and, surprise, Bill gets a 31 million dollar donation for his foundation from his buddy with a promise for 100 million more! Aren’t we all tired of the sleaze?

• G

gmFeb 1, 2008 at 4:58 pm

WhateverFeb 1, 2008 at 9:17 am

You guys fail to mention any Iraq stances, which probably will have more impact than personal opinions on abortion.

If it was up to him, McCain would probably keep us there until our grandchildren defect to Canada. Other than that, he seems OK.

But I like the cartoons!

WhateverFeb 1, 2008 at 4:17 pm

But I like the cartoons!