Diamond Dogs open season tonight

Senior RHP Clayton Allison: 10-5, 108IP, 68 K, 4.50 ERA
Junior RHP Tanner Scheppers: 7-5, 93 IP, 94K, 4.74 ERA
Junior LHP Justin Wilson: 8-5, 101.2 IP, 105 K, 3.19 ERA
File photos by
Juan Villa / The Collegian

No. 18 Fresno State vs. UC Davis

Four-Game Series: Tonight, 6:05 p.m.
Saturday (Doubleheader), 2:05 p.m. and 5:35 p.m.
Sunday, 1:05 p.m.
Location: Pete Beiden Field (Fresno)
Listen Live: KMJ-AM 580 (Friday and Sunday)
Last Meeting: 2007 – Fresno State won 4-3 in Davis

Breakdown: Bulldogs

Despite cloudy skies and a damp field, the Fresno State baseball team will start its season tonight against the UC Davis Aggies.

The Bulldogs are pursuing their third straight Western Athletic Conference (WAC) championship in 2008.

With a No. 21 ranking from Collegiate Baseball Newspaper̢۪s Fabulous 40, a No. 18 ranking from Baseball America and a No. 1 ranking from the WAC Coaches̢۪ Poll, the Bulldogs have a lot to be confident about.

The Bulldogs return six out of nine starters, including all four members of last season̢۪s starting rotation.

One member of the rotation, junior Tanner Scheppers, was recently named to the Golden Spikes Award preseason watch list. The Golden Spikes Award is given to the best player in college baseball. He is the probable starter for Saturday afternoon.

Taking the mound tonight though will be senior workhorse Clayton Allison. He led the Bulldogs with 10 wins last season and was a First Team All-WAC performer in 2007.

Allison has been named as the WAC Preseason Pitcher of the Year.

Pitching in Saturday̢۪s doubleheader will be junior left-hander Justin Wilson. Senior right-hander Brandon Burke will start Sunday.

Wilson led the WAC in ERA last season with a 3.19 mark and is a preseason all-conference selection.

Pitchers will need to hit their spots and establish location to be effective this weekend.

On the offensive side, the key for the Bulldogs this weekend will be getting to the UC Davis pitching staff early.

Junior Erik Wetzel will need to ignite the offense at the top of the lineup, followed by the big bats of left fielder Steve Susdorf and third baseman Tom Mendonca at the clean up spot.

Breakdown: Aggies

UC Davis will begin its 2008 season playing Division I baseball for the first time in school history.

The Aggies are the newest member of the nine-team, Big West Conference. They will have their work cut out for them though, as the Big West is notorious for its excellent baseball programs.

Three teams from the conference were picked in the USA Today Preseason Coaches̢۪ Poll. Additionally, two Big West teams made it to the College World Series last season.

Despite being picked to finish last this season by the Big West coaches̢۪ poll, UC Davis has a lot to be optimistic about.

All four of UC Davis̢۪ starting pitchers from last season are back along with five returning position players.

Taking the mound tonight for the Aggies is senior right-hander Eddie Gamboa. He went 4-1 with a 3.25 ERA during an injury-plagued 2007 season.

Gamboa and the rest of the returning pitchers from a year ago combined to throw 450 innings.

The majority of UC Davis̢۪ offense last season was supplied by former third baseman Daniel Descalso, who led the team in nearly every major offensive category and was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals.

Trying to fill the void is shortstop Matt Dempsey, who is the team̢۪s best returning hitter. He batted .362 last season, with four home runs and knocked in 27 runs. He was an All-IA-Independent Team honorable mention last season.

The Aggies̢۪ experience should be positive this season, but it might take a while for the pitchers to adjust to Division I hitters.

The offense could struggle against the Bulldogs̢۪ experienced and talented pitching staff.

STARTING LINEUPS
Bulldogs Position Aggies
Danny Grubb (Jr.) Catcher Jake Jeffries (Jr.)
Alan Ahmady (So.) First Base Evan Hudson (Sr.)
Erik Wetzel (Jr.) Second Base Ty Kelly (So.)
Tom Mendonca (So.) Third Base Justin Schafer (So.)
Todd Sandell (Sr.) Shortstop Matt Dempsey (Sr.)
Steve Susdorf (Sr.) Left Field Kevin James (Sr.)
Blake Amador (Sr.) Center Field Ryan Royster (Sr.)
Trent Soares (Fr.) Right Field Kyle Mihaylo (So.)
Jordan Ribera (Fr.) Designated Hitter Grant Hirniese (Sr.)