Bulldogs ready to defend national title

Read this story’s associated blog.

Sophomore Kellie Ellis looks for teammates to pass to during practice at Clovis West High School. The club water polo team has begun practicing twice a week for its season, which begins on Feb. 23 at a tournament where they will face UC Davis and CSU Maritime Academy.
Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

The women̢۪s water polo club team swam away last season with first place in the National Collegiate Club Championship held in Massachusetts and now the girls are prepared to defend that title.

“They are the defending champions and to my knowledge no club team has won nationals two years in a row. It’s very difficult to do,â€Â Brian Tsukimura, the team’s adviser said. “But they are practicing hard in the freezing cold two nights a week and seem determined.â€Â

The team, which is part of the Sierra Pacific Division, has been practicing this past month in preparation to play UC Davis and CSU Maritime Academy at the first tournament on Feb. 23 and 24.

“Last year we beat UC Davis by one point and rumor is that their team has picked up a couple good new players,â€Â said Jacque Ritchie, the women’s water polo club president. “[They have] been practicing since September because they really want to win regionals and go to nationals this year.â€Â

Kellie Ellis was part of the National Collegiate Club Championship team last season and returns this season with her team in hopes of taking the title again.
Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

While the Fresno State team may not have started practicing until early last month, they have the stamina and determination to rise again.

As a club team, they work not only in the water, but out of the water to raise funds needed for travel expenses. The amount needed doubles if they go on to nationals, which are held in Oregon this year.

“We get some money from ASI for safety equipment and events held on campus,â€Â Ritchie said. “We also have sponsors, but most of the extra money for hotels, plane tickets, busses, other travel expenses, our uniforms and for renting the pool at Clovis West are fundraised.â€Â

Tsukimura added that each player has to pay dues to be on the team, which amount to $400.

“I played water polo in high school and it naturally became the center of my life,â€Â freshman Ashlee McNeil said. “When I got to Fresno State, I joined the club because I could not imagine not playing.â€Â

Many other girls on the team expressed similar feelings.

“We want the prove to Fresno State, which has no fully-funded water polo team on campus, that we can have a real team and that we are serious and legit,â€Â sophomore Erika Tasier said.

Based on last season̢۪s success, the team of 12 is serious, but every new season brings new challenges.

“Every year is a different year,â€Â coach Fabrizio Lafaro said. “This year there are five returning members to the team and the rest are new, so the structure of the team is different and the same thing is happening with the competition teams, so we really won’t get a feel for how well we’re doing until the first tournament.â€Â

However, the team is enthusiastic that they have the power to go the distance this season.

“Water polo is an intense, aggressive, action-packed sport,â€Â junior Ashley Prosen said. “Broken noses, fingers and ribs are common, and this season our team is going to bring everything we’ve got to regionals and play hard to get to nationals.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

Rosanne HaflichMar 27, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Trying to reach Fabrizio Lafaro, women’s club water polo coach. You posted an article in February and I can’t find any contact information.

Can you help?

Great article by the way.

• R

Rosanne HaflichMar 27, 2008 at 11:31 pm

Can you help?

Great article by the way.

ScoutFeb 13, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Support Water Polo. Its one of the most exciting sports to watch, and even more fun to participate in.

If you have never been, you are missing out. Good Luck Dogs!

ScoutFeb 13, 2008 at 11:26 pm