Basketball goes pink for cancer

Jaleesa Ross (above) and Emma Andrews (below) sported pink headbands and shoelaces Thursday night in support of Think Pink Night.
Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

ASI and USU Productions teamed up to promote breast cancer awareness at last night̢۪s tailgate before the women̢۪s basketball game.

“This is to support the Susan G. Komen Foundation,â€Â said Allyssa Lopez, a senior criminology major and member of the USU Productions. “It’s just a way to get people hyped up for the women’s basketball game.â€Â

Students who attended the event had the opportunity to enter a raffle by donating $1 to the foundation.

Prizes included Beanie Babies, T-shirts, and Valentine-themed packages.

Jaleesa Ross (previous photo) and Emma Andrews (above) sported pink headbands and shoelaces Thursday night in support of Think Pink Night.
Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

Free billiard and bowling games were the largest prizes offered, donated by the USU Recreation Center.

Shawna Blair of USU Productions said that the fundraiser went hand in hand with the basketball game, of which the entire ticket sales went toward the cause.

Not only were there hot dogs and lemonade to snack on, Fun Clip provided plenty of hip hop beats, including old school favorites like TLC’s “Creep.â€Â

Lopez said that the goal of the event was to make students more aware about breast cancer.

“We try to do anything and everything to get the students involved,â€Â said Kathy Paez, student director of USU Productions.