A Hallmark holiday

Read this blog’s related story.

Valentine̢۪s Day seems to be one of those holidays that affects many people, whether they are single or in a relationship.

Is there a psychological effect from the holiday that influences people? Are women more susceptible than men?

I always believed the notion that women are more affected by the constant reminders of Valentine’s Day and wanting a day filled with roses, chocolates, cards and ‘I Love You.’

Dr. Rebecca Raya-Fernandez, a psychologist in the Health and Psychological Services, will be hosting a meeting on campus to help students cope with their feelings and give them strategies to enjoy being alone on the holiday.

The meeting will be held on Thursday, Feb. 14 in the Student Health Center in conference room 149E from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., followed by another session at 4 p.m. This session will help students build healthy relationships.

Raya-Fernandez believes that there are many different emotions tied into Valentine̢۪s Day for various reasons, whether a person is single or in a relationship.

“We want to go through like a survival guide on how to cope,â€Â she said. “Like doing something nice for yourself, seeing an action movies with friends or going horseback riding – doing something you’ve never done before.â€Â

After interviewing some students on campus, my notion was set.

For Christa Williams, 21, a mass communications and journalism major, who has been in a relationship for eight months, Valentine̢۪s Day is not a gloomy holiday.

“It’s depressing for my single friends, but not for me,â€Â she said.

Heather Forcella, 19, a liberal studies major, explained that with advertising on television, radio and stores, it is a reminder for those who do not have valentines.

“Why can’t single people have a holiday?â€Â she said, laughing. “It’s really just a Hallmark holiday.â€Â

I have to agree with the Valentine’s Day being a “Hallmark holidayâ€Â because at the end of the day, do all the material things really matter? I think this is true for many holidays, not just Valentine’s Day.

I have always been a firm believer that you do not need a holiday to tell or show someone you care about him or her.