Women on top in WAC play

In only her first season, freshman guard Jaleesa Ross leads the WAC in 3-point field goals made. Ross and the Bulldogs are tops in the WAC in 3-point shooting.
Shaun Ho / The Collegian

After losing six games in a row in non-conference play to open the season, the Fresno State women̢۪s basketball team has won six straight games and are tied for the top spot in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC).

The women̢۪s basketball team̢۪s losing streak included losses to several top teams, including a slim loss to No. 15- ranked California, 83-79.

“Coach just basically told us to not get down, because no team in the WAC is playing the schedule we are,â€Â senior center Erica Henry said.

“It was a good test and now we’re coming in to our own,â€Â coach Adrian Wiggins said. “We’re understanding one another a little better, getting better together. We are a very new basketball team and we were playing very stiff competition.â€Â

This year the team has five new faces, three of them in starting positions.

“[The freshmen] are very competitive,â€Â Wiggins said. “They haven’t flinched. Not only are they excited about starting but they want to.â€Â

Guard Jaleesa Ross is one of the freshman starters who has adapted well to her new role. In only 16 games, Ross has already topped the WAC in 3-pointers,

Ross and the Bulldogs are the top ranked 3-point shooting team in the WAC. She is also currently ranked No. 38 in the nation for 3-point field goals made.

“I felt a little pressure once I got in the starting position, but now things are going pretty smooth, we’re winning,â€Â Ross said. “My teammates, they know where to find me, they know if they give it to me I’m gonna knock it downâ€Â

Wiggins said that this team is out to do things they̢۪ve never done before.

“We’ve never won 10 games in a row, we’ve never been to a NCAA tournament and we’ve never been a conference champion, so we’re trying to do those things,â€Â Wiggins said. “We still have 14 games left. They are all very important, so any time [we] get a conference win we’re excited.â€Â