WEB-SPE@K: What’s your take on Fresno State’s new sports?

Fresno State’s athletic department recently announced the addition of two new women’s sports teams, marking the return of the swimming and diving team, last active in the 2003-2004 academic year, as well as the newly created lacrosse program. Do you feel these programs are a welcome addition to the athletic department?

Be sure to read the print edition of next Friday’s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian. We would like to encourage readers to continue to submit their ideas and opinions. We look forward to lively and open discussion with our readers.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• R

Roscoe JenkinsNov 24, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Where are the Bulldogs going to get female lacrosse players? The central valley isn't a hotbed.

• U

user friendlyJan 23, 2008 at 11:45 am

This is fantastic! Any addition to the Athletics or any department to better our school and students, will lead the way.

• U

user friendlyJan 23, 2008 at 6:45 pm

• R

Roscoe JenkinsJan 21, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Guys, it’s ‘lacrosse,’ not LaCrosse or Lacrosse—–it’s not an Indian tribe or the city in Wisconsin, or even the cheap Buick——-

• R

Roscoe JenkinsJan 22, 2008 at 12:51 am

why??Jan 21, 2008 at 4:52 pm

Why Lacrosse. No high school in the valley offers Lacrosse so most locals who decide to come to Fresno state won’t know how to play. In fact I think most people who play Lacrosse is a sport for the wealthier and potential students who do know how to play the game can probably afford to go to a private college where there is already Lacrosse. This is unless Fresno state is also planning to impliment a program to teach girls how to play also

why??Jan 21, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Mike SobrevillaJan 19, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Some argue – confidently – that Fresno County is now making a global impact, while “the best” Fresno State college graduates occupy positions of leadership (quite the influential force). I disagree.

Fresno State sports are certainly not a localized culture; some events are national. Therefore, this particular appendage could lead the way, breaking through the Ivy League clutter.

Gender balance does promote innovation. This establishment should forgo a positive trend.

Now, I don’t have anyone supporting me, while I attend college. I hope to catch a game someday, I̢۪m a peddler. Now you can say I spammed.

Mike SobrevillaJan 19, 2008 at 11:59 pm

Now, I don’t have anyone supporting me, while I attend college. I hope to catch a game someday, I’m a peddler. Now you can say I spammed.

• N

NodogintheHuntJan 19, 2008 at 5:39 am

In a nutshell, here are the basic reasons for LaCrosse:

In order to achieve a first step towards Gender Equity and NCAA compliance, the committee had to use multiple factors to come up with their decisions, while also looking to the future, some of which are:

1. LaCrosse is what is termed an “emerging sport”. It’s hot already all over the country, and California does have a recruiting base and will soon have one in the Valley when the trend reaches it. Clubs are playing now all over the rest of California, and there are high School teams to recruit from.

There may even be players now in the Valley that have to travel far away just so they can play it.

2. Cost

3. Facilities

4. Scholarships

• N

NodogintheHuntJan 19, 2008 at 12:39 pm

2. Cost

3. Facilities

4. Scholarships

• R

Roscoe JenkinsJan 18, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Where are the Bulldogs going to get female lacrosse players? The central valley isn’t a hotbed.

McLovinJan 18, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Why women’s lacrosse? Gymnastics, fencing, or water polo would have been much better options for gender balance.

McLovinJan 18, 2008 at 9:42 pm