The Sleaze-o-meter: Republican Edition

AMERICANS DON̢۪T VOTE FOR candidates. Americans vote against candidates.

Unfortunately, the news media has reported little of this cynicism. Instead, headlines are awash with the idea that, for once, Americans might have something positive to look forward to this Election Day. A candidate they̢۪re excited about.

History proves the networks wrong. Our post-Watergate age of high scandal and reality television has no place for optimism. We have no business cashing in the idea that a vote really makes that much of a difference, or that it could do anything but slow our country̢۪s inevitable spiral to oblivion.

As such, I thought I’d do my readers the service of ranking the candidates in terms of how little you could trust them. Policy has no place in this ranking — only how not-respectable they are, and how dishonest.

I watch “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.â€Â That said, it should come as no surprise that the Republican Sleaze-o-meter comes first.

1. Mitt Romney. There really isn̢۪t any other way to characterize Romney as anything but a sleaze, someone who̢۪d sell his grandmother for a nickel. He̢۪d then invest his nickel in his own campaign, like the near-billion nickels preceding it.

More troubling is his tendency to switch sides on core Republican issues — abortion, for example — when it suits his campaign. Archive footage of his Massachusetts gubernatorial race might as well be of Rudy Giuliani.

He understands what̢۪s really important, though. His hair still looks fabulous.

2. Rudy Giuliani. If you listen to him talk and actually believe what he says, ignoring his attorney-at-law mannerisms and frankly uncharismatic delivery, Giuliani has little that̢۪s distinguishably Republican. Well, except for his attorney-at-law mannerisms and his frankly uncharismatic delivery.

Giuliani is the undisputed leader of distorting his record and those of his opponents, just to get them flustered and on the defensive. Flustered and defensive candidates, he must reason, lose support. That can only help him.

It really doesn̢۪t help that he acts, looks, talks and philanders like a lawyer. Sleaze.

3. John McCain. Switching sides is nothing new to McCain, whose record on immigration — whatever your position — isn’t quite what he says he supports now. He’s been known for a moment or two of “political cowardice,â€Â as he put it.

On other issues — the Iraq War troop “surge,â€Â for one — he’s stayed remarkably adamant and stable. Of the current electable Republican candidates, readers would be well-advised to vote on behalf of McCain come Feb. 5. It’s a vote that counts twice — against Romney and against Giuliani.

4. Mike Huckabee. The Huckster is a dangerous political candidate for his own reasons, but flipping around isn̢۪t one of them. Sure, he̢۪ll distort his own political history as an Arkansas governor, but he̢۪s done well to present his amiable jokester side in tandem with his evangelical ideologue side.

Unfortunately, that̢۪s about as deep as the Huckster gets. He̢۪d rank even lower on the sleaze-o-meter if he had all that much of a voting record to flip against.

5. Ron Paul. McCain is said to have once called this 10-term Texas congressman “the most honest man in Congress.â€Â That’s according to the Paul campaign’s Web site.

If you̢۪re voting on integrity, vote Paul. Of course, that also means you̢۪re voting for the gold standard and the freest free-market economy Ayn Rand ever dreamed of. For most modern Republicans, adding in his largely isolationist, anti-Iraq-War foreign policy is just the icing of a poisoned cake.

Pragmatic Republicans should avoid Huckabee and Paul, as supporting those campaigns indirectly supports Romney̢۪s and Giuliani̢۪s campaigns. That̢۪s the reason McCain stands the best shot of winning the nomination. Clear-thinking Republicans know the threat Romney and Giuliani pose.

Voting against them is the only vote that makes sense.

Democratic candidates will follow in the Monday, Feb. 4 edition of The Collegian.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Benjamin BaxterFeb 5, 2008 at 5:10 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

He doesn’t believe that 9/11 was an inside job. Take a look at this, though.

Whatever you think about my personal politics, the rating was on sleaze — Ron Paul’s the integrity vote, so he couldn’t rate any higher on the sleaze-o-meter than he did.

Oh, and by the way? I’m a registered Democrat.

Benjamin BaxterFeb 6, 2008 at 12:10 am

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Cindy SheehanFeb 4, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Hey Baxter.

That article was like the Arizon Cardinals…weak sauce!!
    Though you did fit the collegian template an motto: SHORT on deatails, long on simplification.

Ron Paul….really, honestly, you want to conclude the article with a Dr. Paul recommendation? Hey Baxter, do you belive (as Paul does) that 9/11 was an inside job? Let me rephrase that for you….do you think the current president planned to kill over 3000 Americans by crashing two jets into the twin towers? Paul belives that, do you?

Fortunately only about 5 of us read this paper……

Have a grat day
    Si se puedes
    and go DogS

Cindy SheehanFeb 4, 2008 at 7:37 pm

Hey Baxter.

Have a grat day
    Si se puedes
    and go DogS

Benjamin BaxterFeb 1, 2008 at 12:58 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Given a choice, I’d rather it not burn.

Benjamin BaxterFeb 1, 2008 at 7:58 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Given a choice, I’d rather it not burn.

WhateverJan 31, 2008 at 6:51 pm

Yeah you’re right. But it’s sort of like characterizing diarrhea. You don’t want any type of it.

WhateverFeb 1, 2008 at 1:51 am

Benjamin BaxterFeb 1, 2008 at 1:45 am

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

For the most part, I agree.

However, changing opinions for the sake of political opportunism — Romney’s the worst at that — is the sleazy thing to do.

Benjamin BaxterJan 31, 2008 at 6:45 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

For the most part, I agree.

WhateverJan 30, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Bending, or at least omitting parts of, the truth is part of what politicians do. Just read the Declaration of Independence.

Thomas Jefferson definitely embellished on that one. And James Madison, who wrote of the proposed constitution’s safeguards against factionalism in the Federalist Papers, later became the poster child of factionalism in the republican party.

Switching opinions isn’t necessarily wrong. We all do it. McCain’s been alive a long time!

And who in that situation wouldn’t obscure the record to make himself look better?

But, are Jefferson and Madison sleazes? No way. I think the difference is that they were doing what they believed to be best for the country.

But that was before it was respectable to even campaign. If the people didn’t pick you outright you weren’t worthy.

Politics is a sleazy business and I don’t like any of the presidential candidates.

WhateverJan 30, 2008 at 10:06 pm