The One-Finger Salute

Thumbs up to the Fresno State men̢۪s basketball team, which won its game against San Jose State on Saturday night, snapping a two-game losing streak. The win provides a much-needed victory against the team̢۪s conference rival, particularly as it comes in the midst of a season that we would call mediocre at best.

Thumbs up to “There Will Be Bloodâ€Â finally coming to Fresno. Several members of our editorial staff were enormously excited about seeing the film and finally, last Friday, the film opened on screens at both the Edwards and Sierra Vista film complexes. Those of us who made it out to the movies this weekend highly recommend the film to our readers and, well, anybody with the time and money to see it.

Thumbs down to the return to two-day weekends. After the winter break and the last few long weekends, the prospect of a full week of classes seems more daunting than before, though we certainly appreciate the time we did get off. Here̢۪s to hoping it all goes smoothly.

Thumbs down to the unfortunate lack of toilet-training with regards to wild animals, particularly birds. Definitely one of the down sides of going to school on a campus so full of trees is the constant worry that, on the way to classes, some anonymous member of our avian community is going to drop its business on our heads. We don̢۪t like feeling like we should come to school with a bottle of shampoo in our bags.

Thumbs up to the rainy weather we̢۪ve had during the course of the last week. Aside from bringing the water we will need to get us through the nearly-unbearable summer months in the Valley, we loved the fact that it helped clear out some of the smog last weekend, allowing us to catch a rare glimpse of the mountain ranges surrounding the Valley in all their snow-capped majesty.

Thumbs down to deadlines. Tomorrow is the last day for graduating seniors to apply for graduation and is also the last day to add classes without a permission number. With the stresses of trying to rework schedules, buy books and get back in the right frame of mind for doing things like studying and writing papers, is it too much to ask for a little more time to work out the kinks? Of course, if you work in the administrative offices, the answer is probably yes — but we don’t.

Thumbs up to karaoke. Many of us on the editorial staff are big fans of butchering classic ‘80s tunes like “Under Pressure,â€Â “Addicted to Love,â€Â “Karma Chameleon,â€Â “She Drives Me Crazy,â€Â “Total Eclipse of the Heart,â€Â “Come on Eileen,â€Â “Love Shack,â€Â “Like a Virgin,â€Â “Wind Beneath my Wings,â€Â “Jessie’s Girlâ€Â and “Purple Rain.â€Â Big fans.