The One-Finger Salute

Thumbs up to the Bulldog football team who beat Georgia Tech in the Humanitarian Bowl, played on Dec. 31 of last year. Besides a victory, the Bulldogs also earned a total payout of $478,000.

Thumbs down to the roundabout students will now face at the intersection of Chestnut and Barstow. Fresnans — and frankly, most Americans — simply don’t understand how to use these things. For evidence, just try driving through River Park on a busy day. We’re glad to see this intersection is open again — it was closed for most of the break — but we’re not too sure this addition actually constitutes an improvement.

Thumbs up to Billy Volek, former Fresno State quarterback who helped lead the game-winning drive for the San Diego Chargers against the Indianapolis Colts. In the final minutes of the game, Volek lead a 78-yard drive, at the end of which he scored the game-winning touchdown himself with a one-yard run.

Thumbs down to the new ordering system at Taco Bell. The new format requires ordering at one end of the store, picking up your food, then moving to another, and standing in another line, in order to pay for your food. It may not be the biggest problem in the world, but it’s something about which several members of the editorial staff are rather passionate — and it’s inconvenient for everyone.

Thumbs up to the Fresno State women̢۪s basketball team, who, after a rough start, have spent the last six games collecting victories. The team, which began the season with a record of 0-6, is now 8-8, with a 3-0 record in the WAC.

Thumbs down to trying to find parking on campus on the first day of the new semester. It̢۪s bad enough trying to find a spot during the rest of the year, but it̢۪s especially bad during these first few days, when students are actually attending classes. Several of us faced traffic messes upon arriving at school, after making our ways through the fog. Can̢۪t we just get a break?

“The One-Finger Saluteâ€Â is culled each week from discussions in The Collegian newsroom.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Benjamin BaxterJan 16, 2008 at 11:38 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

I’d have given thumbs to nothing but presidential candidates. Mostly thumbs down. To each their own.

Benjamin BaxterJan 17, 2008 at 6:38 am

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

WhateverJan 16, 2008 at 12:21 pm

To Sid: Well at least you can say they’re representing the interests of the average student!

WhateverJan 16, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Sid ViciousJan 16, 2008 at 9:34 am

Goddam, 3 regarding sports and 2 pertaining to commuting? Other stuff is going on in this world, kids.

Sid ViciousJan 16, 2008 at 4:34 pm