Taking the next big step

Read this story’s related blog.

Anastasia Petukhova (above) and Renata Kucerkova are ranked 29th in the country in doubles play. Petukhova and the Bulldogs are ranked No. 14 in the nation as a team.
File photo by Juan Villa / The Collegian

It may have been raining this week, but that didn̢۪t stop the Fresno State women̢۪s tennis team from keeping up on its game.

When team members aren̢۪t on the court working on their backswings, they might be found working with weights in the gym.

Last season, the team was ranked No. 14 in the nation.

This season, they are going in with all the same players and tenacity that earned them six consecutive Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Championships and a 22-4 overall record.

How do they do it?

For one thing, they have kept themselves healthy and free of injuries.

Coach Simon Thibodeau said that overtraining actually proves to be counterproductive to a team.

“Some teams fall off the map by one or two key injuries,â€Â Thibodeau said.

No one on the current Fresno State team has sustained any such casualties.

In 2007, the Bulldogs excelled in their doubles matches thanks to Melanie Gloria and Tinesta Rowe, Thibodeau said.

The tandem of Gloria and Rowe had a 13-4 record last season and earned a No. 1 national ranking in doubles.

Gloria was named a 2007 All-American and reached a ranking of No. 3 in the nation.

Rowe earned a No. 4 ranking for singles matches, winning eight consecutive matches in one stretch.

Also strong in their doubles matches were sophomores Anastasia Petukhova and Renata Kucerkova, who are ranked 29th in the country. Thibodeau said that with the roster the same as last season, there is nothing in particular to improve upon besides raising their goals and gaining more experience.

In order to get beyond their current ranking, however, Fresno State will have to face some tough competition.

Currently, the top three teams in the nation are Georgia Tech, Stanford and UCLA.

Georgia Tech knocked the Bulldogs out of the NCAA Tournament last season.

To reach its goals, the team practices every day around 2 p.m., where they concentrate on everything from group scrimmages to individual lessons.

“Everyone has a different game and different needs,â€Â said Thibodeau, stressing the importance of private attention to each player and hard work from every individual on the team.

The team did not rest during the holidays either, engaging in fitness programs and consistent practice to keep themselves sharp.

Aside from their dedication on the court, these athletes are students first. A minimum 2.0 GPA is required to play.

Between practices, matches and traveling, it doesn̢۪t leave them much room for free time.

“We have to miss classes from time to time,â€Â Gloria said, but added that most of her instructors have been pretty understanding in the past.

“It’s a different experience every year with the new classes,â€Â Rowe said.

Gloria said it helps that Thibodeau makes himself readily available to his players.

“He cares a lot about the team on and off the court,â€Â Gloria said.

In just five years at Fresno State, Thibodeau has led the Bulldogs to four WAC titles and three appearances in the Round of 16 in the NCAA Tournament.

Thibodeau said that one thing that makes playing at Fresno State a worthwhile experience is the communal support and the quality facilities.

To further benefit the team, a special room adjacent to the courts has been proposed to store equipment and allow players a place to change and rest.

The 2008 season is scheduled to begin on Sunday at 11 a.m. with the Bulldogs facing the Nevada Wolf Pack at the Wathen Tennis Center.

From Feb. 7 to 10, the team will travel to the University of Wisconsin to participate in the 2008 ITA National Team Indoor Championships alongside schools such as Georgia Tech and Notre Dame.