Six crazy ways to waste time

Fish are no different than NFL players scoring a touchdown. They showboat for television.

Well, NFL players showboat for television. The fish just showboat for other fish. But probably not for sharks.

That̢۪s just crazy. And weird. And awesome. This week, all around campus, there are events that are equally crazy and awesome.

1. This weekend you can meet some of Fresno State̢۪s hottest teams and get some shopping done at the same time! Get there early and beat the tween crowd that hangs out in front of Edwards. On Saturday, Jan. 26, the equestrian team will sign autographs and greet fans at River Park̢۪s entertainment plaza. Then, on Sunday, Jan. 27, come meet the 2008 softball and baseball teams, from 1 to 4 p.m., where you can enter to win free tickets to the home openers. Don̢۪t get too excited about the tickets though, all you need is your ID card to get in free to the games. Instead, win them for your friends that will forget their ID card!

2. Find out about those crazy awesome fish that don’t dance for sharks this week, too. They probably won’t do the Super Bowl Shuffle. If you’ve always wanted to learn about “the communication of social information in group-living fishâ€Â, then you shouldn’t miss out on this opportunity to meet Stanford University’s Julie K. Desjardins, who will appear Friday, Jan. 25, at 3 p.m., in Science II, Room 109, brought to you by the Fresno State department of biology.

3. Feel guilty, or feel better about yourself by checking out some ethics. Find out what you’re eating, unless you’re eating dirt, which probably means that you know that you’re eating dirt. Ethically, be sure to tell all your friends, the Ethics Center Lecture Series for Spring 2008 is starting up Wednesdays from 12 to 12:50 p.m., in the Alice Peters Auditorium in the University Business Center. Topics include Jim Prince’s “What is this I’m eating?â€Â on Feb. 6; Madhu Katti’s “Urban Beavers, Suburban Bears, and Household Geckos: On Sharing Our Habitat with Wildlifeâ€Â on Feb 20; Jason A. Bush’s “The Art, Mystery, and Controversy of Stem Cell Cultureâ€Â on March 12; and Ted Peters “The Stem Cell Debate: Religious and Ethical Issuesâ€Â on April 23.

4. The literary folks from the MFA Program are proud to present Ewa Hryniewicz-Yarbrough Friday, Feb. 8, 7:30 p.m., in PB 191, where she will discuss the mysterious craft of poetry translation! I recommend that you write your own poem and have her translate it. Write it in pictures so it̢۪s really hard. I̢۪m kidding. For all those skeptics, remember that your favorite 50 Cent, Josh Groban and Guns N Roses songs are poetry. Doubtful that she̢۪ll translate In Da Club.

5. In other literary news, award-winning novelist Page Stegner, son of Wallace, will present “Adios Amigos: Writing About the Environmental Westâ€Â to the Friends of the Madden Library, Friday, Jan. 25, 6:30 p.m., in the Alice Peters Auditorium, but don’t forget to arrive early for the reception for some free food. There’s an event that knows how to do it. Give free food to the students!

6. And last but certainly not least, the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute spring kick-off is Thursday, Jan. 24, at the Satellite Student Union, where you will be treated to a preview of Spring 2008 events, including a diverse array of topics such as food safety, jazz, photography, art history, William Saroyan, and everybody̢۪s favorite subject, neuroscience!

There you have it. Check some events out, learn something new and meet some cool people. However, as a disclaimer, it̢۪s doubtful that you will meet some fish. If you̢۪re feeling lonely, watch Finding Nemo.

Collegian writers Valerie Nevens, Kyle Lazarus and Sarah A. Peterson contributed to this report.