How Miller got his groove back

Fresno State senior guard Eddie Miller tied a career-high in points and three-point field goals in Saturday night's 75-58 victory over the San Jose Spartans. The Bulldogs will host the Boise State Broncos tonight at 7 p.m. in the Save Mart Center.
Photo by Joseph Edgecomb / The Collegian

Eddie Miller finally found out where his perimeter shooting game has been for the last two games – back home in the Save Mart Center.

The senior guard snapped a two-game scoring drought, matching his career-high with 27 points against the San Jose State Spartans Saturday night at the Save Mart Center.

The senior scored 13 points in the first half of Saturday night̢۪s 75-58 victory. That was more than he had scored in his last two games.

“When you come back home it’s a lot different,â€Â Miller said. “We knew coming into this game we would get some open shots and all I would have to do is knock it down.â€Â

Miller also matched his career-high in three-point field goals, hitting 7 of the 14 shots he attempted. In his two previous games he only made 3 of 20 three-pointers.

Last week̢۪s road trip was all too unkind to Miller. He only shot 16.6 percent from the field, making 4 out of 24 shots.

In those two games, Miller only scored two points against Hawaii and scored eight points against the Spartans on Jan. 17.

“When you go on the road you do a lot of traveling and you’re body goes through a lot of changes,â€Â Miller said. “When you come home and get time to rest it’s a lot better for you.â€Â

Miller started off his night by missing his first three-point shot, a lay-up and a jump shot, but turned it around quickly by making four out of his next six three-pointers.

Miller̢۪s rejuvenated performance was one that ignited the Bulldogs̢۪ offense. Coach Steve Cleveland recognizes that Miller̢۪s success is parallel with the Bulldogs̢۪ chances of winning.

“It makes a difference when [Miller] is knocking threes down,â€Â Cleveland said. “We’re pretty good and can beat people, but when he’s not on, we don’t have a lot of other sources for scoring.â€Â

With Miller setting the court on fire, he was able to open up the floor for many of his teammates to score, in particular freshman Ned Golubovic.

“[Miller] opens up more and more spaces for guys because [opponents] pay more attention to him,â€Â said Golubovic, who scored a career-high 14 points. “He can open more spaces for other guys on our team to score.â€Â

Fresno State might not want to leave the Save Mart Center for some time. Miller̢۪s road statistics in conference play pale in comparison to what he does at home.

Miller̢۪s two best career games were conference home games this season, compared to four road games in which he didn̢۪t break the 20-point barrier.

Miller capped off his night in style with the assistance of Kevin Bell, who threw up an alley-oop to him at the end of the fourth quarter that brought the crowd at the Save Mart Center to its feet.

“It’s hard going to somebody else’s gym and playing as good as you want to play because you got a lot of adversity,â€Â Miller said. “You just have to find ways to win on the road.â€Â

It̢۪s Miller Time
Eddie Miller had a career night against San Jose State Saturday night. Here are some of his notable career bests:

Points – 27 vs. Idaho (1/12/08)
27 vs. San Jose State (Sat.)
Field Goals – 10 vs. Sam Houston St.
(2/17/07)
10 vs. SJSU (Sat.)
Three-Pointers -7 vs. Idaho (1/12/08)
7 vs. SJSU (Sat.)
Rebounds – 5 at Stanford (12/29/07)
Assists- 3 vs. San Diego (12/30/06)
Steals – 2 vs. several opponents

Minutes – 36 at Winston-Salem St.
(11/27/07)