Barack to School

BARACK OBAMA DOESN̢۪T campaign a day that some news station doesn̢۪t make a specious claim that compares him to some failed presidential candidates.

And there hasn̢۪t been a day since the Iowa caucus that CNN doesn̢۪t mention the wide support he wins among young voters.

Of all Iowa participants in the Democratic caucuses between 18 and 34 years old, more than 60 percent supported Obama.

CNN posits that the youngsters like his message because it̢۪s all about change, and because Obama is fresh. Unfortunately for Obama, the presidential message of change is hardly fresh.

Young voters, for better or worse, are too young to remember Jesse Jackson̢۪s presidential runs of 1984 and 1988, or Pat Buchanan in 1996 or Bill Bradley in 2000.

The new voters Obama attracts might not recognize that John Edwards’ 2004 run was all about change, too, but in the same “cleaning up Washingtonâ€Â paradigm as the current campaign.

Baby boomers, for better or worse, do remember. On the cusp of retirement, the boomers might view with some amount of disdain these mavericks.

In their lifetimes, the boomers remember one Democratic maverick who did make it to the Oval Office. He was also a party outsider who ran a grassroots, populist campaign not too long after a wildly unpopular Republican president.

“My name is Jimmy Carter, and I’m running for president.â€Â

His presidency, though well-intentioned, collapsed under public criticism. Record-high oil prices, if adjusted for inflation — then, an even bigger issue — still exceed today’s prices.

Obama isn’t Carter — Carter never talked so well — but there are distinct similarities. In Carter’s defense, presidents have very little power over the economy, driven more by interest rates, public consumption and net imports.

Obama talks prettily of change and improving foreign relations around the world. Therefore, his fans compare him to John F. Kennedy. Kennedy was assassinated when my mother was in diapers — well before Obama’s youth base was born.

They don̢۪t remember Kennedy, but they̢۪ve heard good things.

In response, his critics — Hillary Clinton, and her campaign — could, and fairly, cast him in the light of Carter, a fellow Democrat. The young don’t remember Carter, so the Clinton Campaign looked for someone else. It probably took a few seconds.

After all, Obama also talks charismatically of uniting the country and wresting control from Washington insiders, as did Republican George W. Bush. Bush was first elected when our freshman class was in middle school — well after Obama’s youth base was born.

Everyone remembers Bush.

Looking at the polls, it doesn̢۪t seem the smear against Obama has worked. If the pundits are as correct now as they were incorrect about New Hampshire, the young, hip, college-age Democrats still like him.

Maybe it̢۪s that there̢۪s a fundamental problem with the criticism. We really can̢۪t compare Obama to any former president, like any presidential candidate.

Quite simply, he hasn̢۪t been elected. He hasn̢۪t even been nominated yet. There̢۪s only so far into the future we can go.

Is it really that important that of the remaining Democrats, Obama undoubtedly talks the prettiest?

The Clinton campaign agrees that this is one freshman senator with a gift for rousing rhetoric, and lately has used change motif. The New York Times drew a similarity to George W. Bush adopting John McCain’s 2000 “straight-talkâ€Â catchphrase.

If you are one of those young, hip Democrats who supports Obama, that̢۪s a vote against Edwards, Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel. Realistically though, a vote for Obama is a vote against Clinton.

Should young, hip Democrats give Obama the benefit of the doubt, or are the issues even that complex? Maybe it̢۪s as simple as voting against Hillary.

We young voters don̢۪t just remember the Bush administration. Some of us also remember the Clinton administration.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Mike SobrevillaJan 22, 2008 at 11:46 pm

Lots of things gets a bad rap these days Benjamin, its an aweful waste.

…don’t feel like answering to the call of duty nor endure the stressors duty calls up (occupational hazzards?), when security is hightened – just a hunch. Call me selfish, its something to worry about.

I am just fustrated. You certainly don’t have to buy anything. It doesn’t matter what we think when it comes to national security. We’d just be treading deep water.

Those were great men I am sure. I learned about them in history books. I’ve also read inspiring poetry and literary works of art, the kind that inspire leaders.

You’re probably right, though I am not sure what you meant with your last statement.

The honor is mine.

You get the last word.

~ I doubt her election would have either effect.

Mike SobrevillaJan 23, 2008 at 6:46 am

The honor is mine.

You get the last word.

Benjamin BaxterJan 22, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I barely understand what any of that means. That said, I appreciate the discussion.

Nuclear power gets a bad rap these days. I’m not talking Tupac, either. Ironically, it’s the cleanest, most efficient power. Just ask Europe.

Fanciful speakers motivate a nation. Lincoln, McKinley, Kennedy, King, Kennedy, Reagan. They tend also get assassinated, but that’s neither here nor there.

I don’t buy that Hillary would face too much trouble like that. If anything, her election might further the rights of women in other countries. I doubt her election would have either effect.

Benjamin BaxterJan 23, 2008 at 2:17 am

Mike SobrevillaJan 22, 2008 at 7:04 pm

Be an outcast? Out be outcast! Its cool to be a deviate -in some fashion circles.

I’m going for the coolest, the hippest and the most trendiest now.

It seems Obama has a handle on the various complexities of social empowerment.

The market forces are tricky business, and diversity training – to include sensitivity training – is to sensational (Got Hubbard?).

I am tired of Green Peace making me feel like I was a bad guy for enlisting; to include some foreign policy makers, mister.

Guilty as charged.

I seem to be red eyed, queer eyed and cross eyed all at once – not literally.

I understand the importance of national security. Seven years of war seems to be culturally demonizing and depressing however. And new trends indicate that people would rather starve than splurge during bouts of depression.

Where are the habitual spenders?

I am not sure McCain is completely committed to bringing peace to the Middle East; however, his ideologies in immigration bare merit and he seems to be green savvy. But how do producers of nuclear power plan to market nuclear power? It seems like an expensive marketing venture. I am wondering who going to pay for that?

Oh, and recent proposals in national security is bothersome – “Whose watching me now, the IRS.” I am wondering if I ought to resist that. It doesn’t benefit economics. It seems like a losing battle there.

There will probably be a hick in internet spending; if people can feel a bit more confortable about that. Better technologies will be needed to protect consumer information.

Tap, tap…

Fanciful speakers? Better a fanciful speaker than a pretty face; need that in negotiating peace.

Sadly, our adversararies (if you will) are a bit chuvinistic still, and may take it as a sign of weakness if a woman was voted into the Presidency… ouch…especially after a symbol of feminism was taken down. It may be an ugly detail or just another crazed conspiracy theory.

Mike SobrevillaJan 23, 2008 at 2:04 am

Guilty as charged.

Where are the habitual spenders?

Tap, tap…

Benjamin BaxterJan 22, 2008 at 5:37 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

I had been considering Biden. I felt ‘I’ would benefit most from his legitimate foreign policy experience, unlike that of any other candidate in either party except perhaps John McCain.

There goes personal considerations. What else do we have to go on?

I’ll vote for the guy who talks the prettiest. At least he has something substantive to offer.

Benjamin BaxterJan 23, 2008 at 12:37 am

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Mike SobrevillaJan 22, 2008 at 12:12 pm

My response was delayed; it was certainly something to think about.

Doctrine is difficult – its difficult for me to recongnize that the Constitution of the United States is a biased “format”. We ought to work to break free of these restrictions.

I tend to adhere to secular faiths; however I am no Miguel Hidalgo de Castillo. I understand that some liberties provide a safety net for poor decision making (like abortion).

I’d probably be heritic.

I had been considering Richardson. I felt ‘I’ would benefit most from his ideologies.

Mike SobrevillaJan 22, 2008 at 7:12 pm

I’d probably be heritic.

Benjamin BaxterJan 18, 2008 at 1:48 am

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Mike, I daresay you sound a little like a Ron Paul supporter.

I know you’re not, of course, because you haven’t been spamming the blog already. But almost.

Benjamin BaxterJan 17, 2008 at 6:48 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Mike SobrevillaJan 17, 2008 at 6:34 pm

I agree, the gavel it is. It would be inhuman to cradle Damien or exercise the she-devil, when the appealing snowflake being used can still be exalted after it has failed to bring down that in which harms its citizenry. Core to the Constitution of the United States are the pillars of God, mingled with prejudice, which rears those that uphold it. Don̢۪t scorn this heart! Men become sons and women daughters.

Mike SobrevillaJan 18, 2008 at 1:34 am

I agree, the gavel it is. It would be inhuman to cradle Damien or exercise the she-devil, when the appealing snowflake being used can still be exalted after it has failed to bring down that in which harms its citizenry. Core to the Constitution of the United States are the pillars of God, mingled with prejudice, which rears those that uphold it. Don’t scorn this heart! Men become sons and women daughters.

Sid ViciousJan 17, 2008 at 1:49 pm

spending three years attending a primary school in Indonesia is NOT “international experience”!!! Nor is spending eight years as first lady “executive experience.” Edwards is a tool as well. Vote Gravel in 2008!!!!!!!

Sid ViciousJan 17, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Miguel SobrevillaJan 17, 2008 at 8:11 pm

It’s criminal to be a romantic – to look at the human condition and react as educated people; and lead the way. It’s of no consequence, it’s humanistic. It’s criminal to resist ”“ to become angry ”“ a majority that is frightening, or change, when the majorities were just getting comfortable. I can’t imagine humanism ever being diminished by the more conservative consort, even among conservatives and professionals.

Apathy does not provide a means for adaptation, only a means for being outcast in a world of humans; we should remove the tint from eyes. It’s human to serve the faith one adheres too; whether it is naturalism or realism that moves.

There are enough loud mouths in this place, expressing that their lifestyle dominates over others ”“ Conforming Elitists from Venomous Empaths, either way they steal the way.

Thank you.

Miguel SobrevillaJan 17, 2008 at 1:11 pm

It’s criminal to be a romantic – to look at the human condition and react as educated people; and lead the way. It’s of no consequence, it’s humanistic. It’s criminal to resist – to become angry – a majority that is frightening, or change, when the majorities were just getting comfortable. I can’t imagine humanism ever being diminished by the more conservative consort, even among conservatives and professionals.

Apathy does not provide a means for adaptation, only a means for being outcast in a world of humans; we should remove the tint from eyes. It̢۪s human to serve the faith one adheres too; whether it is naturalism or realism that moves.

There are enough loud mouths in this place, expressing that their lifestyle dominates over others – Conforming Elitists from Venomous Empaths, either way they steal the way.

Thank you.

Benjamin BaxterJan 16, 2008 at 11:39 pm

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Then vote. Get your buddies to vote, too. Prove that students aren’t a Great Silent and Apathetic Plurality.

Benjamin BaxterJan 17, 2008 at 6:39 am

The Collegian Staff Comment
    Future Squirrel Stuffer

Jodi GreenJan 16, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Aristotle is the founder of rhetoric. He taught that an effective rhetoric employed ethos, pathos and logos. And some rhetoric can certainly do more harm than good.

I believe a libertarian presidency is necessary to balance this government’s credo that is in constant forward motion – that ought to be the mission of the Electoral College.

An interesting parallel: Inconvenient truths during this epoch are a steady increase in prices and a declination in economic growth, while our soldiers are fighting for freedom.

Anyways, because retail was slow, I was recently let go after working at the mall for 2 years. The additional income helped me offset my cost of living, while I attend Fresno State.

I’m not worried. I’ll survive. I don’t consume much…so I’m prepared to be jobless. I am, however, a little worried about how I will be paying for the various technological gadgets and services I have procured.

I can do this. I can wear the same fashion next semester too. My parents wanted me to learn about living, or something like that. Funny, how things work out.

When a country enters a mode of stagflation some companies lay people off (its hard to know which ones) – I believe that’s what happens historically, well, I don’t know much about history – however, I do have common sense. Nevertheless, I think I was laid off because costumers weren’t spending enough…bummer.

I think our country’s business leaders ought to give the jobs to those who want to make money to spend it reasonably and not hoard it.

My vote will be for the one who doesn’t panic when discussing matters of foreign affair, nor the one still growing up – which leave us the one wanting to eradicate corporate interest groups. I’d call that ‘slim pickings’ and my mom always has had a variety of foods cooking in the kitchen. Speaking of food, I’m famished.

Thank goodness I understand nobody is perfect.

What do I know? I̢۪m just a young voter during another presidential election.

Jodi GreenJan 17, 2008 at 12:17 am

When a country enters a mode of stagflation some companies lay people off (its hard to know which ones) ”“ I believe that’s what happens historically, well, I don’t know much about history ”“ however, I do have common sense. Nevertheless, I think I was laid off because costumers weren’t spending enough…bummer.

My vote will be for the one who doesn’t panic when discussing matters of foreign affair, nor the one still growing up ”“ which leave us the one wanting to eradicate corporate interest groups. I’d call that ‘slim pickings’ and my mom always has had a variety of foods cooking in the kitchen. Speaking of food, I’m famished.

What do I know? I’m just a young voter during another presidential election.