“I LIKE MIKE.â€Â

Read this story’s related blog.

I̢۪VE ALWAYS CLASSIFIED MYSELF AS A moderate in the scheme of American politics, every bit as wishy-washy as the majority of candidates in the 2008 presidential election.

Naturally, I had no clue who I̢۪d be casting my vote for in the upcoming primary, and only entertained idea̢۪s of names I recognized: Clinton, McCain, Obama and Giuliani.

Then Iowa voters spoke and my gaze changed dramatically to the previously unknown Mike Huckabee.

My first impulse was to Google the former Arkansas governor and learn of his ambitious plans to eliminate the IRS. Upon reading these tidbits I muttered several phrases under my breath: “Good luck,â€Â “Is this guy for real?â€Â and “Woo-hoo, finally!â€Â

All my statements were the typical wavering responses of a moderate considering but unwilling to commit to a particular candidate.

I must admit however that the more I heard the name Huckabee the better it sounded. When campaigning in New Hampshire on Jan. 6, the Republican runner gave a speech addressing my main concern, finally turning me into a supporter.

This concern was the current economy̢۪s effects on the middle class.

Huckabee eloquently told the story of an American machine shop worker, covering extra shifts with hopes to earn more pay to accommodate the needs of his daughter who attends graduate school.

This story struck my attention because I̢۪m one of those daughters with utmost appreciation for a father working harder and harder to give me a better future.

He centered his point on the unfair disadvantage that taxes have on the average middle class worker, who he explained can̢۪t avoid paying high taxes no matter where he places his money or how he earns it.

Huckabee continued until he struck a chord in concluding, “There is one way he could get some government help for his daughter: quit both jobs at the machine shop, then she’d qualify for federal assistance. Now tell me that’s a smart way to run a country.â€Â

This ability to speak and take a firm stance on issues such as the economy made Mike Huckabee more desirable to me then other hopefuls, like Obama, who demand change and other visionary sounding words using grand slogans that amount to no more than vague descriptions of what the country supposedly needs.

Huckabee, who owes his public speaking skills to experience as a Baptist minister, has no such slogan and is making no false promises, but simply relying on his honesty about the issues and his good ‘ol American boy image to push him through to the nomination.

Basically, it̢۪s clear, based on comments I̢۪ve heard from all the major candidates on both sides, that no matter who is elected president in 2008, change will occur.

Huckabee just doesn̢۪t chant about the changes he̢۪ll make, he merely states exactly what his agenda for the future of America is and remains consistent in his views, a trait that is rare in most politicians and one I believe more should build.

It̢۪s hard at this point to say whether Huckabee̢۪s dose of Southern comfort has a chance at winning the nomination, with Mitt Romney and John McCain having won the primaries and caucuses since Iowa, especially with large states like California waiting until February to cast their potentially catalyzing ballots into the pot.

But it feels right to have found my niche in the upcoming election as a supporter of a candidate as wholesome as Huckabee.

He is definitely a Republican to watch out for in the future, who may very well serve on the republican ticket in 2008 as a vice presidential nominee, if not the front-runner after more primaries take place.

No matter where his campaign leads him, I̢۪m proud to say I like Mike.

$100
$500

$100
$500

WhateverJan 28, 2008 at 12:00 pm

While I think Huckabee is probably the best of the republican candidates, I’m not buying this “poor middle class” stuff.

The middle class gets some serious tax breaks. Who gets to write off their mortgage interest each year? That’s a lot of money. And who doesn’t get this kind of break? People who don’t own homes, the ones who might need a break more.

If most middle class (which actually usually means lower-middle class, because EVERYONE considers himself in the middle class) Americans would stop buying useless crap beyond their means, they wouldn’t have nearly as much trouble putting us through college. But we all have this idea that we should be able to get whatever we want, and when anything threatens to put us in our place, we collectively freak out.

Public education is about as subsidized as it gets already. You might not like the value you get for your money, but if students paid to run the whole thing, well it wouldn’t be nearly as difficult to find a parking spot on campus, that’s for sure.

I just think the country has far bigger problems than the price of higher education. Plenty of options exist so almost anyone can attend a school like Fresno State. Going into debt isn’t fun, but the opportunity is more than there.

WhateverJan 28, 2008 at 7:00 pm