Men’s basketball preview

Breakdown: Bulldogs

The Bulldogs are currently 5-3 on the season after squeaking by Division-II bottom feeder Cal-State Monterey Bay 85-80 in overtime. Fresno State needed a 3-pointer from Brian Harvey in the last 10 seconds of regulation to force the extra period.

Fresno State has won three of its last four games despite not having Dwight O̢۪Neil, who̢۪s out with an injury. Burning his redshirt season to help with the depleted depth of the team is Tyson Parker, who has been playing the role of a reserve.

Against the Otters, Parker played 28 minutes, tallying seven assists, five rebounds and four points.

The Bulldogs are looking to bounce back with the meat of its nonconference schedule after barely knocking off Cal State-Monterey Bay.

Beginning tomorrow, Fresno State̢۪s schedule will be getting a lot tougher. Starting with its game at UNLV, the Bulldogs will have games at Arizona and at Stanford in the upcoming weeks.

Breakdown: Runnin̢۪ Rebels

The Runnin̢۪ Rebels have fallen off since former Fresno State coach Jerry Tarkanian led UNLV to a string of Final Fours and a national championship from the 1980s to early 1990s.

Despite not having the success of yesteryear, UNLV was still able to make the NCAA tournament last season, making it to the Sweet 16 after winning the Mountain West Conference (MWC) tournament, earning the conference̢۪s automatic bid.

This year, the Runnin̢۪ Rebels are picked to finish second in the Mountain West behind defending regular-season champion San Diego State, which knocked off the Bulldogs 89-72 Nov. 11 at the Save Mart Center.

UNLV is currently 6-2 on the season after defeating Northern Arizona 83-74 Dec. 5 at the Thomas and Mack Center.
Wink Adams, a 6-0 junior guard who was named to the preseason All-MWC team, leads the Runnin̢۪ Rebels. Adams scored 16 points in his team̢۪s victory over the Northern Arizona Wednesday.