Head Rush crosses genre lines

'We're a rock, funk-with-jazz-influence band,' DJ Clovis (far left, trombone) said about Head Rush's Influences. Here, Clovis is playing with fellow member Brian Nunes (center, saxaphone) and Jeff LaRose (right, trumpet).
Benjamin Baxter / The Collegian

Sequoia Brewing Co. at Champlain Drive and Perrin Avenue is packed to the brim. The music is blaring so loud that it is felt at any location in the restaurant.

But the sound isn’t coming from a CD being played. There is no DJ thumping Soulja Boy’s, “Crank That.â€Â

Instead, playing on the stage is a seven-person band, all Fresno State music majors, known as Head Rush. With such a unique style as a band with both horns and strings, even the band itself struggles for a genre to agree upon that they fall under.

“We’re a rock, funk with jazz influence band,â€Â trombonist DJ Clovis said.

This statement drew such a ruckus that everyone in the band chimed in at once, each member speaking as if their definition was clearly the correct one. After debate and a gathering of all the opinions, their classification was settled.

“We’re a rock, groove, funk band, with jazz and ska influence,â€Â Adam Elmore said. Each member performs with his own instrument. The lineup includes Elmore, the band’s founding member and the lead singer, David Heckman playing the electric guitar, Mike Baltazar playing the electric bass, Mike Bonner rocking the drums, Clovis playing the trombone, Jeff LaRose jamming out on the trumpet and Brian Nunes playing the saxophone.

Due to the variety of the instruments, namely the horns, the first reaction the band gets is that it̢۪s a ska band. Although this band may have some ska-like tendencies, Head Rush is more than just that.

“No disrespect to ska — there is a lot of good ska bands out there — but we kind of want to get away from ska because we play more than that,â€Â LaRose said.

Comparing bands is difficult to do, but Head Rush thinks that their music is similar to The Dave Matthews Band or Chicago.

Head Rush is currently working on their second CD. The band is excited for this CD to come out because they feel that they have developed musically since their first production.

“I’m always like, man I can’t wait for the newer stuff, because everyone has an influence, [and they] all come to front,â€Â LaRose said.

Last summer, Head Rush developed their chemistry, and the band attributes the summer as to why they have improved, compared to when their first CD came out.

A band consisting of the music program̢۪s self-proclaimed finest, the unique chemistry that they have is immediately apparent, not just on stage but in practice as well. Each section of the band gets their timing down together, and adjusts on feedback from the other sections, making the band impeccably in sync.

On stage Head Rush is electric, admitting they are better heard and seen live.

“We’re better live,â€Â LaRose said. “You need to hear us live.â€Â

Members of the band love a good crowd that̢۪s into the music. If the crowd is into it, the band then thrives off of that energy and that makes for a great show.

“Not only do we feed off the crowd, but we feed off of each other,â€Â Clovis said.

The band never rests. Even when waiting for their part in the song, other members are bobbing their head to the beat, grooving off the others̢۪ skills.

Everyone has the freedom to showcase their talents, filling their songs with a plethora of solos.

“Everyone in the band has the ability to solo,â€Â Elmore said.

There is not a central focus to Head Rush when they are playing.

“It’s not like if you’re in the audience, [and while watching], you just hone into one spot and keep your focus there,â€Â LaRose said.

The whole band agreed, and Nunes added, “Everyone gets the same amount of spotlight.â€Â

Fresno State̢۪s music program has been a great tool for Head Rush, helping the band members to develop their skills. When in class they play what they are told, and do it with complete dedication. However, being a part of Head Rush allows the creativity to flow.

“[Being in our own band] allows us to do what we are trained to do, but what we want to play,â€Â Elmore said.

Head Rush has a broad fan base that ranges from college students to middle aged adults. The band has played at a wide range of venues — from weddings, to the Monterey Bay Aquarium and at Sequoia Brewing Co., where they feel they can be themselves.

“The coolest thing about our group is that we can play almost any gig possible,â€Â Elmore said.