Graduation coming up, but will there be jobs?

Graduating from college with a bachelor̢۪s degree is a time of relief for thousands of students and parents each year, but there may not be a job waiting for them after the celebration is over.

“Thank God it’s over,â€Â said Brittani Masterton, a graduating sociology major at Fresno State. “I’ve been going to school since I was six, and working at least part time since I was 16. I’m ready for a career – not a job.â€Â

But for graduating students like Masterton, the reality is that having a bachelor̢۪s degree may not be enough to make them competitive in today̢۪s job market.

A 2006 report published by Occupational Outlook Quarterly reported that “There are more job seekers with college degrees than there are openings of college-level jobs.â€Â

Furthermore, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, 27 percent of all adults have at least a bachelor̢۪s degree. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates there are 250,000 more college graduates each year than there are college-level job openings.

This is evidence of a trend that has existed for more than 10 years, and a trend that is expected to continue.

“In our parents’ generation, if you got your four-year degree, that was enough to get you kind of rolling on your career,â€Â said Cynthia Van Doren, director of Career Services at San Joaquin College of Law. “Now it’s a little more difficult. People are more educated and it’s more competitive. You have to do different things to distinguish yourself. It’s almost a requirement if you want to move on to anything more than an entry-level position.â€Â

Students have options if they are willing to invest the time and money to get to the next level. Enrolling in a master̢۪s program or professional school may open doors for students in this competitive job market.

“My personal view is, in this day and age, it is almost necessary to go beyond your undergraduate degree,â€Â said Van Doren, a recent graduate of San Joaquin College of Law. “Whatever advanced degree people are interested in, I think, in order to get to the next level, you almost have to have an advanced degree.â€Â

That advanced degree can not only get you a job, but also increase your income within your work field. The U.S. Department of Education reported that the average income for someone with a bachelor̢۪s degree is just over $59,000. Compare that to someone with a doctorate, who is estimated to make over $87,000 a year.

“The more education you get certainly opens doors professionally and it increases your income potential,â€Â said Diane Steel, director of Admissions at San Joaquin College of Law. “Your value and ability to contribute to the world increases your ability to help other people, and there is a tremendous amount of professional rewards in your ability to contribute in the shaping of our free society by being a real leader.â€Â

The admissions requirements for advanced degrees are as diverse for each discipline as there are options to choose from. But nearly all schools require an entrance exam such as the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Law School Admissions Test (LSAT).

Tamyra Pierce, Ph. D., director of Graduate Studies for the mass communication and journalism department at Fresno State, said in an e-mail interview that she looks for master’s candidates who “achieve good grades, get involved with faculty … and do well on the GRE. These typically reflect how the student will do in graduate school. I’m also looking for students who have a desire to do research and apply what they learn to their research.â€Â

There are several different test prep agencies that will prepare a student for an entrance exam. Their fees range from free to thousands of dollars.

According to Steel, there are also steps students can take to prepare themselves for the courses they will take as they study for an advanced degree, such as law.

“People come from very diverse backgrounds when they come to law school,â€Â Steel said. “Any courses you can take in reading and writing are going to be a key skill for you.â€Â

Van Doren agrees.

“You can do things to prepare yourself, such as develop good study habits,â€Â she said. “Specifically, writing skills are very important.â€Â

Pierce said that once a student is in an advanced program, the biggest difference between graduate school and undergraduate school is that graduate classes are taken to a higher level.

“The classes are generally small, and more of a seminar and deep discussion,â€Â Pierce said of graduate level courses. “Students are encouraged to think of subject matter in a broader scope and to apply critical thinking and theory to issues. Although there are some exams, the focus is on writing.â€Â

Steel said that students entering into graduate school soon discover the difference between their undergraduate study habits and what̢۪s asked of them in graduate courses.

“Once they’re in school, I understand from students, that it’s nothing like what they expected in comparison to their undergraduate work,â€Â she said. “There is a lot of very in-depth study that is involved in order to succeed. You have to do a lot of work independently. You can’t cram the night before an exam, you have to keep up on all the reading and you have to have a lot of self-initiative and drive.â€Â

Students like Masterton don’t necessarily have to go straight into graduate or professional school, Van Doren said. They can go to work and “test the watersâ€Â to see what interests them.

“I can only speak from my experience, but I found that there were some advantages to having some work experience between your undergrad and your graduate degree,â€Â Van Doren said.

“But that’s an individual decision,â€Â she said. “If you already know where you want to go, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t just head in that direction.â€Â

$100
$500

$100
$500

Charles W. FrankFeb 20, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Response to first comment by “Whatever”: Yeah, Fresno isn’t about National Averages … employers here treat people as expenditures rather than assets. Asking for a raise here in Fresno can get you fired or singled-out for wanting more and taking out of the business owner’s deep pockets.

As has been reported lately, the deepening gouge between rich and poor is happening once again.

My father has been harping on me the last couple of years that a Bachelor’s degree is peanuts in today’s market, saturated with the last few “first generation to college” … “get a piece of paper which somehow entitles lacking intelligence to a better life” -ers who only need 85% in classes to get an “A.” My father’s been harping on me to go to Graduate school to “set myself apart” …

A couple of more words:
    “OFFICE SPACE”

Happiness is what you make it. If you’re shallow enough to make it about money, you’ll never be happy enough. If you can be happy doing a job that you like, then you’ll not care about money. Of course money brings happiness to life by paying bills and not having to worry. If only my generation and a few before, and the many younger, realized the true impact of work ethic … work ethic of long hours gives you no time to spend money that you earn, pride in your job … but alas, many young idiots with lacking work, personal and life ethics rule the ever-increasing corporate world (protected world of human rights violators) of short-term gains, with no respect for the livelihood of others, widening the previously mentioned gap, and causing this whole thing to spiral out of control …

End Rant.

Charles W. FrankFeb 21, 2008 at 5:31 am

A couple of more words:
    “OFFICE SPACE”

End Rant.

WhateverDec 4, 2007 at 12:44 pm

I wonder if that 59,000 average for a B.A. would be a significantly lower mean.

I know this is probably counting older people who have been working in their fields for decades, but at least to ME, someone who has a BA degree, 59k sounds all right! This obviously isn’t a local study, either, so that matters.

I guess one advantage for us recent graduates is that if we wait long enough, the baby boomers will retire and some jobs should open up.

However, our salaries will probably suck with inflation going nuts with us having to fork over money for all the extra old people.

But at least working conditions might be nice! Too bad we won’t get to retire!

WhateverDec 4, 2007 at 7:44 pm