Fresno State volleyball coach resigns immediately

After three seasons at the helm of the Fresno State volleyball team, head coach Ruben Nieves has announced his resignation and will relinquish his formal coaching duties immediately.

Nieves guided the Bulldogs this season to a 5-26 record and 3-13 in the WAC. His three-year record at Fresno State was 18-71.

Nieves owns an all-time record of 197-163 in 14 years of coaching with one NCAA Championship and one NCAA runner up finish.

“I am very fortunate to have had the opportunity to coach here at Fresno State and be a part of Bulldog Athletics,” said Nieves. “I have gotten to work with many wonderful young people and will leave Fresno State enriched by the friendships and professional relationships I experienced. I truly appreciate the support I received from my family, friends, Fresno State fans, media and the Valley volleyball community.”

“There’s no question Ruben assumed leadership of the program at a very difficult time in Fresno State’s history,” said Fresno State Director of Athletics Thomas Boeh. “We appreciate his service, professionalism and consistent positive attitude and wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

A national search to fill the position will begin immediately.

For additional coverage on this recent development, see the next print edition of your Collegian.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• E

Eddie WinslowDec 6, 2007 at 11:03 am

So long—-you really won’t be missed. Your tenure was dismal, Ruben.

On the other hand, the women who left the program in protest of the Vivas firing missed a major opportunity. A coach with Nieves’ credentials is hard to come by. Play the sport for the love of it—–Nieves didn’t make the decision to fire Vivas—-administration did.

• E

Eddie WinslowDec 6, 2007 at 6:03 pm