Fresno State Football Humanitarian Bowl Preview

Juan Villa / The Collegian

Fresno State Bulldogs (8-4, 6-2 WAC) vs. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (7-5, 4-4 ACC)

Game Day: Monday, Dec. 31, 11 a.m. at Bronco Stadium (Boise, Idaho)
Television: ESPN2 (Comcast Channel 33)
Radio: KMJ-AM 580 and KGST-AM 1600 (ESPN Deportes)

Bulldogs̢۪ Three Keys to Victory:
1) Shut down Tashard Choice. Georgia Tech̢۪s offense revolves around its stud running back. If the Bulldogs can stop him, then they will shut down the Yellow Jackets̢۪ offense.
2) Run, Anthony, run! Anthony Harding has had two consecutive 100-yard rushing games. He, Lonyae Miller and Clifton Smith need to establish the running game early.
3) Feed off the chaos. Georgia Tech is going through a lot of controversy right now with its coaching changes. The Bulldogs need to jump out to an early lead and demoralize the Yellow Jackets.

Fresno State Player to watch: Linebacker Marcus Riley
Juan Villa / The Collegian

Down where the peaches grow…
Wins Against: Notre Dame 33-3, Samford 69-14, Clemson 13-3, Miami 17-14, Army 34-10, Duke 41-24, North Carolina 27-25
Losses to: Boston College 10-24, Virginia 23-28, Maryland 26-28, Virginia Tech 3-27, Georgia 17-31
Interim Head Coach: John Tenuta (Sixth Season)
Offense: Multiple
Defense: Zone Blitz
2006 Bowl Game: Lost 35-38 to West Virginia in the Gator Bowl
Key Players: LB Phillip Wheeler, DT Vance Walker, P Durant Brooks
Series Record: Fresno State leads 1-0
Last Meeting: 2002 – Fresno State won 30-21 at the Silicon Valley Football Classic

Georgia Tech player to watch: Running back Tashard Choice
Sara D. Davis / Associated Press

Position Match-ups

When Fresno State Runs: Fresno State
Even without Mathews, the Fresno State running game has been stellar. Look for Harding to continue dominance.

When Georgia Tech Runs: Georgia Tech
Choice is an absolute stud and the Bulldogs have had trouble stopping the run this season.

When Fresno State Passes: Fresno State
Brandstater and his receivers are clicking at just the right time.

When Georgia Tech Passes: Fresno State
Bennett is at the bottom of the ACC in passing. The Bulldog secondary should be fine.

When Fresno State Kicks: Fresno State
Stitser missed an easy field goal attempt against the Aggies, but should rebound.

When Georgia Tech Kicks: Georgia Tech
Brooks and Bell make up one of the best special team combos in the country.

Breakdown: Bulldogs

After a one-year hiatus, the Fresno State Bulldogs are back in a familiar position – playing in a postseason bowl game. After completing a full turnaround from a 4-8 season last year, to an 8-4 season in 2007, the Bulldogs are ready to regain prominence in college football by finishing the season with a win over a BCS-Conference opponent.

Fresno State has faced off against Georgia Tech just once before. The Bulldogs were able to edge out the Yellow Jackets 31-20 back in 2002 at the now-defunct Silicon Valley Football Classic in San Jose.

The last time the Bulldogs were in Boise for a bowl game, they upset then-No. 18 Virginia 37-34 in the 2004 MPC Computers Bowl.

With several players returning in 2008, the Bulldogs are looking to end this season on a high note and ride the momentum to a successful campaign next year. A Humanitarian Bowl victory would be the perfect way for Fresno State to welcome in the new year.

Offense:

̢ۢ The theme all season for the Bulldogs has been dealing with injuries. So it is quite fitting that Fresno State̢۪s top running back will be out for the bowl game. Ryan Mathews will not play against Georgia Tech due to a torn muscle near his collarbone that he suffered against New Mexico State on Nov. 30.

̢ۢ Carrying the load for the Bulldogs̢۪ ground game will be sophomore running back Anthony Harding. He has run for over 100 yards in his last two games. Running back Lonyae Miller should be good to go for the game, as well as senior Clifton Smith.

̢ۢ Junior quarterback Tom Brandstater has really come into his own as of late. In his final two games of the regular season combined, he had 518 yards passing, with two touchdowns and he also rushed for two scores.

Defense:

̢ۢ Senior linebacker Marcus Riley earned Western Athletic Conference (WAC) Defensive Player of the Year honors. He will be faced with the task of stopping Georgia Tech̢۪s stud running back Tashard Choice.

̢ۢ Senior, All-WAC defensive end Tyler Clutts and the Bulldog linemen will need to shut down the running game early and force the Yellow Jackets to pass, which is not their specialty.

̢ۢ Georgia Tech̢۪s pass offense is the second-worst in the conference, only averaging 182.9 yards per game. Getting to the quarterback could be tough, though. The Yellow Jackets only allowed a league-best 19 sacks.

Breakdown: Yellow Jackets

The state of the Georgia Tech football program has been chaotic as of late. Last month, head coach Chain Gailey was fired. The Yellow Jackets will play their bowl game without a head coach. Defensive coordinator John Tenuta will take over for Gailey at the bowl game.

With the thought of an entirely new coach and new offense in 2008, Georgia Tech might have more on their mind than just the Humanitarian Bowl. To make matters worse, the last time they played Fresno State in a bowl game, they lost 30-21.

Offense:

̢ۢ The catalyst of the Georgia Tech offense is First Team, All-Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) running back Tashard Choice. He leads the ACC and ranks 15th in the nation at 119.09 rushing yards per game. Choice is one the most-prolific running backs in Georgia Tech history, ranking in the top 10 in numerous categories. He had a season-high 37 rushes for 204 yards against Miami.

̢ۢ Quarterback Taylor Bennett leads a basically non-existent passing game. Bennett ranks 10th in the ACC with 170.4 yards passing per game and six touchdowns.

̢ۢ Kicker Travis Bell was a First-Team, All-ACC selection. He is the seventh player in NCAA history to convert 100 percent of his extra points on at least 100 attempts. He has made all 132 of his extra points.

Defense:

̢ۢ Linebacker Phillip Wheeler has a team-high 78 tackles, including nine for a loss and six sacks.

̢ۢ Defensive tackle Vance Walker was a First Team, All-ACC selection with team-high 8.5 sacks. He forced three fumbles and recovered two of them.

̢ۢ Punter Durant Brooks won the Ray Guy Award as the nation̢۪s top punter. He could cause the Bulldogs problems in the field position battle.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• K

KarenJan 1, 2008 at 9:42 am

Way to Go DOGS!!

You did it–really liked the 2 point conversation formation.

Let’s keep plays like that on the book & bring it to the field in the ’08 season.

• K

KarenJan 1, 2008 at 4:42 pm

Way to Go DOGS!!

Allen XiongDec 31, 2007 at 6:48 pm

great win! Bulldog football has come full circle, baby! I think we may see some surprises come UCLA and Wisconsin next season. The K-State and GT games late this season showed heart that surpassed skill.

Allen XiongJan 1, 2008 at 1:48 am

• F

FSDogs1Dec 13, 2007 at 9:52 am

I’m pumped for this game. This is a 100 times better matchup for the ‘Dogs than the Hawaii Bowl would have been. Plus, Hawaii is more expensive for students/fans to travel to.

GO ‘DOGS!!!
    BEAT THE YELLOWJACKETS!
    BEAT THE YELLOWJACKETS DOWN!

• F

FSDogs1Dec 13, 2007 at 4:52 pm

GO ‘DOGS!!!
    BEAT THE YELLOWJACKETS!
    BEAT THE YELLOWJACKETS DOWN!

• K

KarenDec 12, 2007 at 8:02 pm

GO DOGS GO!! Show ’em who’s boss!!

• K

KarenDec 13, 2007 at 3:02 am

GO DOGS GO!! Show ’em who’s boss!!

Dirk DigglerDec 12, 2007 at 9:21 am

I don’t know why fans and some players seem pissed off about the bowl game location. Okay, Boise will be a tit bit nippley—-but come on, it’s a day game. Georgia Tech or East Carolina? Which win would be most impressive?

Dirk DigglerDec 12, 2007 at 4:21 pm