WEB-SPE@K: Should the Save Mart Center cater to Fresno State students?

Next week, the Save Mart Center is hosting pop singer Hannah Montana in a concert that has been sold out in venues across the country, but doesn̢۪t necessarily have much appeal to college students. Should the Save Mart Center cater its acts more toward students or those artists that will bring in the most revenue?

Be sure to read the print edition of next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian. We would like to encourage readers to continue to submit their ideas and opinions. We look forward to a lively and open discussion with our readers.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Concert FanNov 24, 2009 at 3:39 pm

What acts aren't playing that we should complain about? That arena holds 16,000 people. Only the biggest acts in the world are going to be able to fill that place up.

The Collegian should find out why the Satellite Student Union isn't used for smaller concerts. Plenty of cool bands play venues 500 seats and smaller. Again, just to make sure the point gets across, the Save Mart Center holds 16,000. That's a lot of people.

Those smaller shows are the ones college students might care more about, but I would bet they would still get low turnouts. Otherwise somewhere in Fresno would host those type of shows by now.

Older people are the ones more accustomed to seeing concerts. Just look at the top concerts that come through – The Rolling Stones, The Who, Aerosmith.. etc. Bob Dylan couldn't even bring in more than 5,000 or 6,000 people to the SMC.

A few younger acts, like Dave Matthews Band and Beyonce, can fill venues of that size, but this “catering to college students” doesn't make sense for an arena because bands that can play arenas don't usually appeal to college students!

There was a big story (and a few follow-ups) a few months ago in the Fresno Bee about the Beyonce concert promoter, who has to pay Beyonce just for showing up. It said he probably barely broke even after selling about 7,000 tickets. 7,000 tickets at 40 bucks each is 280,000 bucks. And this guy might not have made any money for putting on the show.

Concerts are expensive, so just be happy we get anything around here.

Van Halen Nov. 29 WOWOWOOWOWOWOWWOWOW Somebody get me a doctor!!!! Everybody wants some!!!

Salvador GholleyNov 6, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Money rules everything-are we going to role out the red carpet for some alt rock band? Only certain shows can fill a 16,000 seat venue.

Salvador GholleyNov 6, 2007 at 11:11 pm

WhateverNov 5, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Apparently you haven’t been to Selland Arena in Fresno or Arco Arena in Sacramento. The SMC might be ugly but it gets the job done where it counts – the seats and stage are very nice.

Whether this is something the university should be interested in is another matter, but the arena is very successful as far as concerts go.

WhateverNov 5, 2007 at 7:14 pm

A.C. SlaterNov 5, 2007 at 10:25 am

The FS community was ripped off by the SMC. The arena pales in comparison to other major California arenas that seat over 14,000—Oracle (Oakland), HP Pavillion (SJ), Honda Center (Anaheim), Staples (LA). It’s probably on par with the Thomas and Mack Arena in Vegas. It has no personality: unfinished concrete floors, a dark concourse, bad sightlines, no distinguishing features.

A.C. SlaterNov 5, 2007 at 5:25 pm

BluestoneNov 3, 2007 at 2:02 pm

There’s also the fact that events in the Save Mart Center are scheduled by a third-party firm, the same one that books the Selland Arena. I agree with the comments that Fresno State events won’t necessarily fill the arena. It costs money to turn the lights on, and they have to at least break even.

BluestoneNov 3, 2007 at 9:02 pm

Dunt BeawankaNov 3, 2007 at 9:07 am

SMC was not financed at all by taxpayers. It’s a community venue, but the academic and athletic community at Fresno State are clearly lacking the means to put more events in the building.

Dunt BeawankaNov 3, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Joel M.Nov 3, 2007 at 12:51 am

I think they should cater to students some of the time, but we’re a public school funded by the taxpayers, so there’s a case to be made for the SMC being as much for the community as for the students.

Joel M.Nov 3, 2007 at 7:51 am

Soulja BoyNov 2, 2007 at 1:08 pm

The SMC is only interested in a steady revenue stream. The administration and sponsors got what they want. Are we to think students are going to be treated as anything other than second-class citizens? Look at the location of the FS basketball student section.

Soulja BoyNov 2, 2007 at 8:08 pm

Mike GreysonNov 2, 2007 at 11:25 am

When Incubus came in 2004, the bottom bowl was only 1/2 full. Granted, it was a summer concert, but damn people……………learn about good music. Debacle.

Mike GreysonNov 2, 2007 at 6:25 pm

Concert FanNov 2, 2007 at 9:35 am

What acts aren’t playing that we should complain about? That arena holds 16,000 people. Only the biggest acts in the world are going to be able to fill that place up.

The Collegian should find out why the Satellite Student Union isn’t used for smaller concerts. Plenty of cool bands play venues 500 seats and smaller. Again, just to make sure the point gets across, the Save Mart Center holds 16,000. That’s a lot of people.

Older people are the ones more accustomed to seeing concerts. Just look at the top concerts that come through – The Rolling Stones, The Who, Aerosmith.. etc. Bob Dylan couldn’t even bring in more than 5,000 or 6,000 people to the SMC.

A few younger acts, like Dave Matthews Band and Beyonce, can fill venues of that size, but this “catering to college students” doesn’t make sense for an arena because bands that can play arenas don’t usually appeal to college students!

Samuel PowersNov 1, 2007 at 11:46 pm

The arena is a joke and the students were bamboozled into thinking it would serve their needs. The answer to that question has no relevance.

Samuel PowersNov 2, 2007 at 6:46 am

Dunt BeawankaNov 1, 2007 at 11:42 pm

Of course. How about more college sports to avoid the tax issue? Wrestling, gymnastics, fencing, men’s volleyball.

Dunt BeawankaNov 2, 2007 at 6:42 am