WEB-SPE@K: How do you like campus food?

What are your thoughts on the general quality of food on campus, including the campus dining hall, the University Student Union, the Bucket and the various cafés scattered around campus? What about the selection of food available to students?

Be sure to read the print edition of next Friday̢۪s issue of The Collegian for featured comments.

The Collegian reserves the right to edit material for length, content, spelling and grammar, as well as the right to refuse publication of any material submitted. All material submitted to The Collegian becomes property of The Collegian. We would like to encourage readers to continue to submit their ideas and opinions. We look forward to a lively and open discussion with our readers.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• Z

Zelda Ketchum BowserNov 24, 2009 at 3:39 pm

A public college campus should be one of a few places to avoid the “toxic food environment” that Fresno has become.

AngelaNov 21, 2007 at 12:39 pm

I hate the food on campus. It has nothing to do with the service either, which is fine by me. There is such a lack of options….panda, taco bell, fried chicken, pizza. Sure the campus reps say oh eat a salad or subway, but salads aren’t filling and how many times a week can a person eat a subway ew. We need some freshness in our food choices. Even something such as a baja fresh, japanese food, or anything else where the food doesn’t seem to have a prepackaged notion to it. I’m embarassed by the lack of food we have. Fresno State is trying so hard to present the image of the “new California” by building a enormous library or its other projects, but can’t put initiative to present nutritious foods for it’s students. I thought it was neat when we had the wellness challenge…but having a taco bell bean burrito with over a thousand grams of sodium and 11 grams of fat as a healthy item….hmmm Mind you that’s only one that sure wouldn’t fill me up. I hope to see improvements in the future.

AngelaNov 21, 2007 at 7:39 pm

• F

FLucasNov 14, 2007 at 12:00 am

I ate at the RDH (Resident Dining Hall) for the past two years. They should offer more healthier choices rather than the fried/unhealthy food section of the fries, fish, chicken, etc. On campus, as large as the enrollment is, there should be more places to eat on campus or we should at least see some more variety in the food that’s offered.

Everyone seems to be touching base regarding the food service, I would side with the workers on this because I myself work in the retail business. When people don’t acknowledge, say thanks or have a childish attitude, it makes sense to be rude back. Customer service is reflective of how the customers are to them. I make sure to be nice so they don’t mess with my food.

• F

FLucasNov 14, 2007 at 7:00 am

WhateverNov 13, 2007 at 6:01 pm

There’s also some good stuff at the food court by the bowling alley. Muffins, bagels, juice, cereal, etc.

WhateverNov 14, 2007 at 1:01 am

WhateverNov 13, 2007 at 4:09 pm

I’m not too worried about food on campus because we don’t HAVE to eat there. And there’s a jamba juice right across the street. Or you can pack a lunch and save a lot of money in the meantime.

Too many people LOVE panda express and taco bell for me to expect anything healthy on campus. And I don’t blame anyone because I’m definitely a minority on this.

WhateverNov 13, 2007 at 11:09 pm

• K

KayNov 13, 2007 at 2:23 pm

gm,

You are taking my remarks quite personally. If you are courteous to those who serve, then my remarks do not apply to you. It was a general comment.

• K

KayNov 13, 2007 at 9:23 pm

gm,

• G

gmNov 13, 2007 at 12:43 pm

zack’s right and Kay,

I always say thanks to the people that help me. I have never been anything less than courteous to the people in food service. Furthermore, I don’t respond to worker rudeness by being rude back or to everyone else I encounter. I suppose that is the difference between us. Rather than use the inconsiderate behavior of some as an excuse to be rude to everyone, I prefer to do my part to make things better. I fail to see how treating everyone rudely or deciding not to perform the job I’m being paid to do accomplishes anything. As I pointed out, life is full of things that can be used as an excuse for all types of negative behavior. One can respond as a child does when someone is mean to them or grow up and understand that each of us is responsible for our own actions.
    Finally Kay, let me point out that the brunt of my criticism was for management, not the workers. It is painfully obvious to me that the level of service is not important to them so I wouldn’t expect it to be so for the workers. If you have an argument to the contrary on that, I’d love to hear it.

• G

gmNov 13, 2007 at 7:43 pm

zack’s right and Kay,

• K

KayNov 13, 2007 at 11:45 am

It’s easy to complain about the service when you don’t have to do the job. When was the last time you have said “Thank you” to those who serve you. I think it’s the customer’s attitude that affect those who serve the public. As for those who are complaining about the lack of healthy food, you should check out the Residence Dining Hall – salad options. Also, the complaining about the lines, this is the norm on all campuses. You know it is busy every where during those lunch hours, either change the time you have lunch or bring your own lunch. The only thing I can agree on is that the ATM system needs to be faster, but as far as the service is concern, I haven’t had any problems with it. You will find that some patience and a “Thank you” goes a long way.

• K

KayNov 13, 2007 at 6:45 pm

• Z

zack's rightNov 13, 2007 at 11:22 am

gm and dalton: Still, students and fast food customers in general are largely to blame for a simple lack of courtesy. If you are attending a college on your parent’s dime, a simple “thank you” to the minimum wage worker is in order. That, or at least take the damn ipod out of your ear when telling the person what you are ordering for lunch. These people are not your maids and you are not the king and/or queen of CSU Fresno

• Z

zack's rightNov 13, 2007 at 6:22 pm

Tila TequilaNov 13, 2007 at 11:12 am

If you’re looking for a daily fix of toxins in your food, campus eating is right down your alley.

Tila TequilaNov 13, 2007 at 6:12 pm

• G

gmNov 13, 2007 at 9:58 am

Scooty,

I know it’s fashionable to blame all of the campus ills on the University High students, but it just doesn’t wash in this case. Go to food service when the UHS kids are not around and you see the same problems. A total lack of concern for the service aspect of the business. It is not a case of them only taking into consideration the number of college students coming thru, they just don’t care how long you have to wait.
    And Zack, while it is true that fast food is a pretty lousy job, the fact of the matter is they are taking the check so they should do the job. Life is chock full of lousy jobs, bosses and circumstances. Instead of making that an excuse to contribute to the problem it should be motivation to improve ones situation. Ultimately, I blame the workers in food service far less than management because the managers set the tone and expectations and tolerate the current level of service.

• G

gmNov 13, 2007 at 4:58 pm

Scooty,

• Z

Zack MorrisNov 12, 2007 at 1:22 pm

I’d have a pretty bad attitude if I worked in the fast food industry. I feel bad for them. Crappy customer attitudes and managers who expect the world of them are probably the root cause.

• Z

Zack MorrisNov 12, 2007 at 8:22 pm

Dalton JohnsonNov 11, 2007 at 10:33 pm

I will say one thing. the people that work in taco bell have the worst attitudes. No wonder they can’t get a job that’s more than minimum wage. How long does it take to make an effing taco? They are horrible slow.

Dalton JohnsonNov 12, 2007 at 5:33 am

ScootyNov 11, 2007 at 4:22 pm

i think that the level of service provided is adequate for the terms needed for the COLLEGE crowd that comes in. what thy never take into consideration (or at least that is how it looks like) is the HIGH SCHOOL kids that routinely flood the whole area. Maybe the food isnt the issue, but rather a campus that doesn’t respect the intellectual level of its students and what they done to achieve the position they are in. kick the high schoolers out and the lunch-time food rush will cease to be.

ScootyNov 11, 2007 at 11:22 pm

• Z

Zelda Ketchum BowserNov 11, 2007 at 8:35 am

A public college campus should be one of the places students are easily able to avoid Fresno’s “toxic food environment.” Apparently not.

• Z

Zelda Ketchum BowserNov 11, 2007 at 1:35 am

• Z

Zelda Ketchum BowserNov 10, 2007 at 12:11 am

danny noonanNov 9, 2007 at 2:41 pm

More vegetarian options are needed. Why do we now have a Panda Express AND a Chick-Fil-A? Choosing to eat something other than meat won’t kill you.

danny noonanNov 9, 2007 at 9:41 pm

Al BNov 9, 2007 at 1:40 pm

Over reliance of fried foods in dining hall and never a good variety of vegetable dishes. Always the same carrot/pea/squash/eggplant mix.
    Less seating available than last year which is only annoying when the East Wing is closed.

Al BNov 9, 2007 at 8:40 pm

• G

gmNov 9, 2007 at 10:46 am

I have less problem with the quality of the food than the horrendous level of service. It is clear that service is of no concern to management. Lines are routinely long and there is no sense of urgency about checking people out. ATM transactions are a joke and I have a very fundamental question. During the peak lunch rush, from roughly 11:30-1:30, why is it that you never see a member of management? The answer is quite simple. They don’t care about that/

• G

gmNov 9, 2007 at 5:46 pm